1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformating

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hogelin, Mar 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hogelin

hogelin Thread Starter

I tried to reformat my computer from my master cd and disk. It ran through the sequence until I got a file missing message- (file cannot be found hwdetect.ini). Windows will not come up so I have been trying to explore my directories on dos. The directory (pisetup) does show a hwdetect.bat at 1072 bytes, hwdetect.ini at 0 bytes, and a hwdetect.exe. How do I tell dos to ini. the ini. I have run though every option possible on the reformat/reinstall cd/floppy. The computer is a 1995 Packard Bell with windows 95 and we just want to use it for my sons online. It was runnig ok until we wanted to bring it back to its original configuration as it has only a 1 gig. hd.

2. DarrenW

DarrenW

is the CD you're using a Packard Bell recovery CD?

3. hogelin

hogelin Thread Starter

I tried to get things going buy using the Packard Bell Master CD and PB floppy. Yes I used the Restore and recovery disk version 2.3W and backup CD-ROM 170580, supplied by Packard Bell

4. DarrenW

DarrenW

sorry for taking so long to reply. my next question is...is there anything on the hard drive you need to save? if not (or if you've already saved it) then re-boot to MS DOS and run the format c: command (assuming your windows directory is on the C drive). After that has completed then try installing the recovery disks. (boot the computer with the floppy inserted)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice