1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformatting 2000 to XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wearyourscar, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wearyourscar

wearyourscar Thread Starter

I am contemplating updating my desktop from 2000 to XP, and have one question. When I install XP, will some of my 2000 files still remain on my drive once the installation is complete? What I mean is, when I have reinstalled 2000 in the past, some of my files (from games, programs, applications) have still had folders in the Program Files folder even after I reinstalled (and I thought reformatted too). This not that big of a deal, but when I go to XP, I want the drive to be squeaky clean, like nothing was on it previously. How can I achieve this without installing to a different (without OS already on it) drive?

2. milomorai

milomorai

make a boot floppy with the format and fdisk commands on it. then when you want to load xp just boot with that floppy and type 'format c:' at the command prompt. if you want to make more than one partition, run fdisk first. after that you set the boot sequence in the bios to cd-rom first and go from there with the xp install. have fun

gavi

edit: if you want a super squeaky clean drive, get maxtor's power max utilitiy and run the low level format - it puts the drive back to factory original condition. depending on the size it will take from 2-6 hours.

3. shenrick

shenrick

Not to step on milomorai's toes (sorry if I am), but you can also go to www.bootdisk.com, download and run the installer for "win98" or "winME" bootdisks. Then, boot with that disk. After it boots to the DOS prompt, type fdisk and go from there. This is how I've upgraded from Win2k to WinXP several times in the past. Good luck

4. greengeek

greengeek

The easiest way is to boot from the XP CD and partition, format and install from there, you don't have to fiddle around with floppies anymore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice