1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting 98se

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi!
    Worse came to worse. I've got a program called Quik Fix from easydesksoftware.com--in which the program was supposed to extract better files from my cab files than the files I had running. Alas! I was having problems before with access violations, problems with OE and IE, and illegal operations, and of course, shut downs.

After this last Quik Fix, when I reboot all Im getting is the Illegal Operation message on a desktop without any icons. And when I click on it, the puter shuts down. I can, however, get into DOS. With DOS I thought I'd format the C drive and reinstall Windows. I have already moved most of my data and downloads etc to my D drive--plus I burnt all the programs on CDs, so that I can reinstall them (hopefully).

Since this is the first reformat I've ever done, Can it be done just to my C Drive and not C, D, and E? That would not be to my liking. That would be a disaster.

Any suggestions and advice would be most welcome. Thank you very much.
    Suggestions are appreciated.

Xico :D

2. mobo

mobo

yes it can Xico..Just use the Format c: command

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, thanks, Mobo!

(y) Xico

4. mobo

mobo

No problem

5. mobo

mobo

And do not enable large disk support if asked as well. Just format c drive then use the Setup command when complete.

6. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Mobo!

I tried to do an install over windows, and it was successful; but when I rebooted I got the same illegal operation message after which there was dead air space, a desktop wallpaper without shortcuts. I tried to format, but I got the message that I didn't have enuf memory. Hmmm. I've got 512 MBs.
    So, I typed in "recover" and there was a long long list of files that ended with a reference to the Easydesktop Program--Winsafe or their Recovery program. When I rebooted, I was back in Windows--but probably with all the same problems I had before. Still have to check. If I still have them, I'll try formating again. Thanks again.

Xico :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice