Reformatting Aftermath...please help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TravoD

Long story ahead, sorry. I recently bought a Gateway solo 9500 from a buddy. The OS was a pirated version of WIN2000 PRO. I wanted to format the HD and install my legal version of XP via an upgrade from a full version of '98. When i attempted to format the HD by booting the Computer from the '98 or XP CDs i got nothing but a normal startup. After trying several different things i decided to try a 3rd party Formatting program. I ran it and when i was complete my computer rebooted, went to the Gateway splash-screen and then to a blank screen with a flashing cursor. I can not use this cursor in anyway, ie. typing does nothing but cause the sys speaker to beep. I have since tried to start using the 3 different boot discs for '98 with no different results. I have tried to go into the BIOS to change my boot sequence to boot from the Floppy(it is currently set to cd/dvd drive) but i can not change these options. I see a message in the Bios that says "If any items require changes, please consult your system Supervisor." I don't know how to get past this restriction in the BIOS. If anyone could help with any of my problems it would be greatly appreciated.

Heres to hoping i haven't screwed up my laptop beyond all repair.
Travis

can you contact your buddy and see if he password protected the bios? On a desktop to by-pass this would be to clear the 'CMOS' by moving a jumper on the motherboard. Easy on a desktop. Pain in the arse on a laptop.

TravoD

GripS said:
can you contact your buddy and see if he password protected the bios? On a desktop to by-pass this would be to clear the 'CMOS' by moving a jumper on the motherboard. Easy on a desktop. Pain in the arse on a laptop.
Yes i can contact him for sure, but it will be a few days down the road. Thanks for the advice. I was gonna try that myself, but i can find no documentation on how to clear the CMOS in the manual, although i could just gut the thing and look for the jumper..lol. Also if anyone knows how to change from user mode to whatever the top-level user mode is in the BIOS please let me know. I may already know the password. The BIOS is Phoenix 4.0 or 4.4 can't honestly remember at the moment.

Thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online