1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting Compaq 5100CA

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Scotiagirl, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl Thread Starter

I purchased a used computer and promised to reformat it, as it has sensitive personal information on it, I have the original Compaq Recovery CD, but when boot to it to do a restore it says Contact Compag Technical Support. The machine is currently running XP PRO, but they had no disks to give me for that program, so I had just planned on reinstalling the original Windows Millemium Edition that came with the machine when they first purchased it. So now that means I cannot reformat correct? I do have and Win 98 o/s that I purchased years ago, but where the machine is a Compaq, will it allow me to fdisk and install that version instead of a Compaq version? Or did i just get myself a fancy music player???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. bandit429

bandit429

Don t fdisk it. You cannot do that with a compaq. Try cleaning the cd or blowing some air in the player and see if that works.

3. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

Hi Scotia!

The problem is when u load a windows OS other than the one that came with the computer , the original recovery cds that came with the computer will become useless. You can call the compaq technical support, they will guide u to fdisk and reinstall windows ME using the recovery cd. Dont try to install any other version of OS either in HP or compaq. I am telling because of my experience while i was with compaq technical support

4. Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies, I sort of figured that, that would be my luck LOL. I will try to contact compaq then. Have a great day

5. bandit429

bandit429

You can download your ROMpaq at the site linked below by model number. An example to search it would be (your model number) +ROMpaq.

http://search.hp.com/index.html?cha...h=&hpl=1&hpo=&h_audience=&h_audiencerestrict=

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/7540.html

This may prove a useful note, its from a previous thread that may apply to your situation. I guess the best way to tell is to keep tapping F10 at power on and see if you get a bios screen. If not then this would be the direction to go.

1. Boot from Disk 1 of 2 and define the HD parameters if installing a new HDD. For an existing drive this should not be necessary.

2. Have NO PARTITONS defined on your hard drive. Delete any and ALL partitions you may have created in previous attempts to load diagnostics.

NOTE! If you try to load the diagnostics with a DOS partition defined it will say there is not enough room to load diagnostics because it needs the FIRST 4MB of the drive to load them. (Available space on the drive is unusable) If you loaded an OS and your applications and want to preserve them, you CANNOT load the Compaq diags to the hard drive.

3. Boot from Disk 1 of 2 and it will detect no diagnostic partition on the hard drive and prompt you to create one on the drive.

4. Follow the prompts to create the partition and insert the diskettes when requested. This is a 3 pass operation, to create the non-DOS partition, recognize the partition and transfer the diskette images. Now you will have F10 functionality at boot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice