1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting Dell back to factory Specs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tacocaster, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tacocaster

Tacocaster Thread Starter

Hey gang,

I have a quick question. I have had my dell laptop for quite awhile now and someone offered to buy it from me. What I'd like to do is revert it back to the factory specifications. I am not completely sure how to go about this. I currently have the HDD partitioned into something like 35GB for windows and 5GB for Linux (which I never got around to learning) Anyways, i need to format the HDD and reinstall XP Home edition with all of the included dell crap. How do I go about doing this?

2. Damonc

Damonc

By using the CD's/DVD that came with it you should be able to do it.... :p

Unless of course your system is one of the ones that has all the restore data on a "hidden" hard drive partition.. coz if thats the case you would have lost it when you repartioned for windows/linux..

3. Tacocaster

I actually tried that. Booted to windows, threw in the cd rom, window popped up saying the version of windows I wanted to install was older than the current version. The current version is SP2. I'm pretty sure the copy on disc is not. I guess since it really isn't a problem, how do I format the HDD?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. Tacocaster

Thats still not quite right simpswr. I have SP2 installed currently and I am going to try and uninstall that from add/remove progs and then try again. I'll let you know how that goes when home from work. Worst comes to worse I have a copy of XP Pro that I could put on there.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From the first post it also sounds like you have multiple partitions and Linux as well. You will need to do more than just uninstall SP2. If you want to get it like it came from the factory (unless Dell put Linux on for you), you will need to start a new install, delete the current partitions and reinstall from scratch.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/390656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice