1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting Destkop pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Black Echo, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Echo

Black Echo Thread Starter

Hello all,
    Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. I have a wireless router, but it is connected to my cable modem with a wire, but wireless for a laptop. I was just wondering if reformatting my desktop pc will cause internet connection problems on both the desktop and the laptop? The router is the Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO. I'm not tech savvy, so the router was set up by the Geek Squad. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

2. emoric

emoric

If you've just reformatted I would make sure that all your correct drivers and installed and up to date. Also, make sure your firewall is allowing access to the internet. A lot of times I even forget to configure that and it leaves me with a big :confused: face.

I hope this makes some sense. As far as the router, just make sure it is broadcasting and you don't have something like mac filtering enabled. Well, at this point.

Eh

(n)

3. Hughv

Hughv

Assuming the reinstall goes well, and all drivers are installed, the only problems would be the wireless connection. You'll need to re-enter the security key. This varies depending on the kind of wireless security you're using. You should be able to copy or print these settings before you re-format.
    If you're using a wireless utility, it will need to be installed as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice