1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting failed Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robothouse, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robothouse

robothouse Thread Starter

Hello everyone

I recently purchased a brand spankin' new HP computer running Vista Home Premium. It is a 2.13 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of Dual channel RAM, and it used to have 2 320GB HDDs in a RAID 1 configuration. However, all that changed earlier today.

I came home from the mall and on my computer screen was something very unusual. Instead of my desktop, the screen was black with a blinking text entry area in the upper left. I hit enter and a message appeared "Disk read failure. Insert system disks and reboot." However, the computer had come pre-installed with Vista! So, I just rebooted and during the normal startup procedure, I came to a setup screen. It displayed both of my hard drives and said that both were unbootable. However, I reset (not reformatted) my first hard drive and ta-da! RAID 1 saved the day and I was able to boot into Vista.

This still leaves an issue. I have an unbootable/unusable HDD in my computer. Is there anyway I can reformat the second hard drive so that I can use it again and set up my RAID 1 again? Or is it completely gone and I should buy a new HDD?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thank You,
    robot

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It is new. Why not call the manufacturer and ask them to fix it under the warranty?

3. robothouse

True, but I would rather fix this on my own and not get involved with Customer Service. I have bad experiences with HP in the past.

4. Compiler

Compiler

er... they all pretty much have sucky tech support... but it is under warranty.

You need to KNOW what your options are when dealing with RAID on HP - I would sure like to know. Options as I see:

1 - Have to have an HP Rep work on the unit and determine one of the drives died and replace it. (usually a week turn around from a local authorized shop)

2 - HP sends you a replacement drive for you to replace your defective drive (your RAID software should tell you which drive has failed)

3 - Buy another drive, a 320mb of the same brand/type is the best. Look on the drives. It maybe something like Maxtor 320 Diamondmax 9, etc. And then you can try to see if HP or the manufacture will honor the warranty.

Notes: HP (AFAIK) only warranties all parts for a year (unless you have an extended warranty - then why not use it?) A drive by Seagate/Maxtor comes with 5yr warranty when you buy it yourself ;)

Beware of standard big-brand techs... their way to resolve is to reformat & restore usually.

When you replace the drive, the RAID controller will ask if you want to re-mirror your drive - it may take about 1-4 hours.

5. dfhensley

dfhensley

I have the same machine but I can't find out how to make the Raid1. The bios is set for RAID but I can't find how to make the mirror.

6. robothouse

@dfhensly

You have to use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software in order to create a RAID volume. It takes you through the setup process.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice