1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Daljaxon, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daljaxon

Daljaxon Thread Starter

I recieved a computer a couple of days ago that had the hard drive wiped clean. Semi-clean anyway. I was trying to install windows 98 on it and found out that there is a NTFS partition on it and I could not fdisk, format, or install any program on it. I am guessing that it had win 2000 on it previously, so that the NTFS was used for the OS. Is there any suggestions in what I can do to install win98? Should I find a MS-Dos 6.22 boot disk to try to fdisk this. Or a Win 2000 boot disk? I have been learning about computers for a year now and this machine was given to me for this purpose. Unfortunately I can not afford to go out and purchase the Partition Magic software and I don't have win 2000 OS.
    When using FDISK, I view that there is no fixed disks present.
    When using FORMAT C:/s, I view that this is not supported.
    When trying to install the 98OS, I view a message say that HPFS or NTFS is installed, and to create a MS-DOS boot partition.
    The computer is an A-OPEN computer with a 2gig HD, 133 processor, and 430 chip. Any help would be appreciated. I am a newbee trying to gain experience in the exciting world of computer repair. Must have a boring life, huh?
    Thanks, Daljaxon

2. dagiftolife@

[email protected]

Make sure Hard drive is recognized in bios before you try to fdisk.

If it is recognized in bios:

(format the c: drive first then try FDISK)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FDISK:

Get a win2000 bootdisk and use the fdisk version on that.

-OR-

Get a win98 bootdisk and try to use fdisk on that.

in FDISK delete all partitions and then make new partitions with fat32.

Make sure Hard drive is recognized in bios before you try to fdisk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice