1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformatting hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by llbyer, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llbyer

llbyer Thread Starter

i would like to reformat the hard drive on my dell latitude laptop. after typing in "format c:" i get the following message: "the type of the file system is ntfs" it then asks to proceed with format. when i respond yes, it says "format cannot be run because the volume is in use by another process. format may run if this volume is dismounted first. all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. would you like to force a dismount on this volume? y/n." when i respond yes, it says " cannot lock the drive. the volume is still in use." how do i get around this? thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Are you going to reinstall XP or 2000. Because you can reformat the drive during the install. You cannot format a drive while it is in use. That is only logical. How can it perform a task if it has to use files on that partition.

3. llbyer

llbyer Thread Starter

i will reinstall 2000.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Then you got no problems. Boot off of your Windows 2000 cd and format the partition from there. There is a nice tutorial on installing Windows on http://www.blackviper.com but his site seems to be down right now. Maybe it was located on the east coast.

5. cynhitz

cynhitz

When you are getting ready to install 2000, go into bios setup and set your system to boot from cd. When your system boots you should have to press the space key (sometimes any key) to boot from cd, after that just follow the screen prompts. I recommend using the ntfs system on the formatting, you will encounter less to no problems that way. Personally, I find that changing the format from ntfs to fat32 system to be problematic. Hope that helps.

6. llbyer

llbyer Thread Starter

oops. forgot that i don't have a 2000 install cd. i have a 98 boot cd and then a 2000 upgrade cd. can i still do what you're suggesting?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As long as you have a win98 cd then yes you can do a clean install with the win2k upgrade cd. During the install setup will ask for the previous product. You just put in the win9x cd, it checks the disk and then setup will tell you to reinsert the win2k cd and continue.

Here is the mskb article regarding upgrade path.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232039&Product=win2000

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice