1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting Harddive: starting over

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by compnovice, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compnovice

compnovice Thread Starter

I really messed things up. (see post below for details )
    I tried to delete duplicate files to save space, but deleted some important ones.

My internet browser, video, sound, and some programs are'nt working or are acting strange.

I am considering backing up programs and files to CD's then re-formatting my HD .

If I backup programs like MS Word2000, MS Works, ect...
    do I need a 'subcription key' or product ID number.
    I don't think I have all of these.
    Will a copy of these programs install on the HD properly?

I am at my wits end ! I need this PC working very soon !

2. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

My guess is NO. Having the application saved does not necessarily save the install program. It has been my experience that copying the application back onto the hard drive after re-formatting was not the same as installing it and the application did not work.
    You might check your recycle bin and restore the things you deleted and start over cleaning out the duplicate files more carefully, or you might re-install your Windows program over itself and see if that cures soome of the problems, or you can start here by listing the problems and let us try to help you fix them one at a time.
    You can download programs like Belarc and Aida32 which when run will tell you which programs you have installed and will tell you the product keys for each program so you can write them down before you format, if that helps you.

3. compnovice

compnovice Thread Starter

A gentleman on another thread is suggesting installing Windows on top of itself. My other post is : PC acting strange: error messages ".

edit: Actually, how does one reinstall Windows on top of itself?

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy compnovice...

When you boot from the W98 cd, you should be given the option to repair the existing install ( if I remember right the option on the screen is to press F3 to repair )...

You may or may not loose some programs depending on what you deleted...

Another option is to click on Start - Run - and in the run box type in sfc this is the system file checker, if any are missing or deleted it should replace them ( be ready with the W98 cd )...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice