1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by saltlick, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saltlick

saltlick Thread Starter

Hello,

[​IMG]

I would like to reformat my computer or set it back to the original settings. I cannot find the windows xp installation cd / boot disk.

I brought the computer legally so I have no idea why I didn't get them, I have all the other details of purchase and stuff.

I remember being asked to make a disk when I first switched on the computer but this was my first computer so I didn't have any disks or understand what it was doing.

Is there anyway I can reformat my computer or reset the settings?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sounds like you computer had the recovery (Restore to factory fresh, out of the box) software all ready installed on the computer. Check your owner's manual on using the the recovery software. You should be able to have a way burning a set of discs now or running the recovery program right from a partition on the hard drive.

Even if you can recover without burning discs, it is still a good idea to make a set of recovery discs. A virus or hard disc failure could make the recovery from burned discs your only inexpensive option.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Typically if there is a restore partition on the computer, you will see a message to press something like F11 come up when you turn on the computer.

Another option would be to contact the manufacturer of the computer to get a set of restore CD's.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the system properties window, your computer has an Intel 1.4 GHz processor, so I'm guessing that it's 5 - 6 years old. Most computer manufacturers don't provide a recovery/restore CD after 1 - 2 years, so I don't know how much luck you'll have getting one.

Restoring it back to "day one" is going to load it with very outdated software programs and hardware drivers, along with all the bloatware and demo and trial garbage that came with it. My advice would be to purchase a Windows XP SP2 CD, format the hard drive and make a fresh install of the operating system, then install the SP3 upgrade.

If you're really intent on restoring it to "day one", follow Bob's advice about the restore partition.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Patriot computers huh.
    Might check to see if this site has the iso image for the recovery disk
    http://www.user-guides.co.uk/Patriot/PatriotCDDownloads.asp

6. saltlick

saltlick Thread Starter

yes you were right. just press f10 when you turn on than follow the steps.

thank you my computer is now fixed.

7. die trying

die trying

Just a query.... isnt that your registration number for your Xp instal? Should you be showing that? Not sure if anyone else can use it if it is. Just a thought as I could be way off.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad the suggestion to press a key worked and thanks for posting back.

The registration key is different than the product ID.

Something you may consider is getting an external hard drive and use that as a backup. Should your hard drive with the restore partition have failed, it would have been more more difficult to restore. Once you have it configured with all the applications and settings you want, you can use a program like Acronis True Image to make an image of the hard drive. Then should the hard drive or even just the OS fail, you can restore it relatively quickly. You can also use the external drive for regular backups of data that may change.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice