1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by BigDates, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDates

BigDates Thread Starter

i would like to say that i was thinking of reformatting. one problem that arises with this:
    I got the PC pre assembled, with Vista Home edition installed.
    It did NOT come with a CD, but there is a cd-key on the side of the machine.
    How would i go about reformatting this without a CD?
    The computer wasnt bought, what happened was last year in a thunderstorm My home computers got fried.
    We ended up getting 2 new ones. Both of which came with Vitsa.
    We didn't get any CD's with them. The OS doesnt seem to be on another partition, but im not sure how to check if it is or not. (when i open my computer all i get is a harddrive for C

2. Orumph

Orumph

because most of the time, this partition is hidden.

You can check the start menu for anything that says create restore disks or something like that. If there is nothing there to create the disks.

You can call the manufacturer to order the disks, they will run between 20 and 50 dollars. Depending on the manufacturer of your PC.

Also, most restore partitions are accessed at boot by hitting a combination of keys...

F10
    F11
    ALT+F10
    ALT+F11
    or sometimes , i have seen recently, a restore pc from the F8 menu.

But, you need to make those disks, or purchase them.

Backup your data before attempting any restore.

3. BigDates

BigDates Thread Starter

hmm. i think it is but not entirly sure if its illigal
    if i use my friends CD, or burn it which is the same edition of my Vista
    and install using his CD / the burnt one. Im not sure because i do
    have the CD key already i would install it with, and after use i would discard the CD oubiously.

4. Orumph

Orumph

Well, generally speaking, it's not exactly illegal... MS does state otherwise to a point.
    They would prefer you use the disks provided by the manufacturer, but what you ask will work. You don't need to get rid of the disk, but if you ever pass the system on or try to sell it, legally you should have the manufacturers restore disks.

It does need to be an OEM version of the OS, if it's retail, it probably won't work with your key.
    You will have to call MS to activate, but this won't be a problem, as long as the COA (the sticker on your system) is not a counterfeit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice