1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ecko69x, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

Ok I want to reformat my computer. Will it work with a Windows XP disc that says "upgrade" on it? Or will I need the full version or something.

On the side of the box it says:

This enclosed program will search your hard disk/ or CD to confimr your eligibility for this upgrade. The software will install only if you are a licensed user of one of the following products:

Windows 98
    Windows 98 2nd Edition
    Windows 2000.

I have the full version of Windows XP Home Edition.

2. asaw

asaw

That doesn't sound like the right windows install disk to me - that may be a service pack upgrade or something? Why not put the disc in and check it out and see whats on it. It is worth making sure before you go for the big 4mat!

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Do you have a full version or an upgrade?

If you are using an upgrade version installation CD, you'll also need a CD with an older operating system ( Windows 2000, 98SE or ME ) to complete the install. Also Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

4. bbearren

bbearren

The upgrade version is in fact the full version with a discounted price. The discount is based on having already paid for a previous version of Windows, hence the installation hook that checks for a previous version of Windows.

If it doesn't find a previous version of Windows after searching your hard drive(s), it will ask for an installation CD of a previous version to be placed in the CD drive.

Other than that, It has the all the capabilities of a full version CD.

5. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

So I don't need a Full version xp disc? The upgrade disc will handle that?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

as long as you have a install disc for an earlier O/S

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    If you have a Windows 98, NT, ME or 2000 CD, you can reformat your computer safely. It will prompt you when it needs the given CD.

Please note, I think the CD has to be a retail version of the OS (not too sure about OEM versions). Image and recovery CDs, though, I'm pretty confident that they won't work, but I don't know.

I would wait for a more informed response.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice