1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformatting taking days??? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by boing, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boing

boing Thread Starter

I started doing a complete restore with reformatting the hard drive and 30 hours have gone by and it says its at 18 percent.
    I am reformatting a HP desktop with 40g hd. I used the restore disk but it shouldn't be taking this long right? At this rate it will take over 5 days. Can somebody please help me.. I currently don't have access to that computer unless somebody tells me to stop and do something different.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It shouldn't take more than an hour or two to format. Stop it and try it again. Use FDISK to delete all Partitions and create a new partition, reboot and type Format C: - you'll need a bootdisk - if you don't have with those two things try one fron www.bootdisk.com - the HP CD has its won utilities or may use FDISK/Format, so try something else.

You may also want to download the diagnostic utility from the harddrive manufacturer(ie Maxtor, IBM, etc) and test the drive.

Also, was there a specific problem that made you reformat, or just wanted to start fresh?

3. boing

boing Thread Starter

Because my computer was moving very slow.... I added a 64 megs of ram to the 128 that I already had. After I added the ram there was no change so I just decided to restore to factory. Thanks triple 6.... I'll try restarting ... I do have the restore disk and pretty sure it does the FDISC because it gives me the option to do a complete reformat. I'll let you know here pretty soon.

4. boing

boing Thread Starter

ok.... I did a cold start with the recovery disk in and this time, like before, I chose to do a complete reformat. It said recording current bad clusters and completed.. it then went to verifying to recover allocation unit and got up to 471. right now the monitor has : "37,873" "verifying 29,309.73m . Is this good?????

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is it moving along at a good speed? Does it keep finding more problems?

6. boing

boing Thread Starter

with the time that has gone by.. I'd say half an hour or so... it's at
    4 % . it appears in dos and the "trying to recover allocation unit" goes away and is replaced with the 4% .

7. ~Candy~

Not looking or sounding good. I'd do the drive diagnostic program as mentioned above ;)

8. boing

boing Thread Starter

omg, I didn't see it before..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY AcaCandy!!!!

Even though I'm sobbing half to death.. I'm looking for
    the diagnostic utility right now. ANY thing else that might
    help???? Thanks Peeps!!!!

9. ~Candy~

Go to Maxtor's website and download theirs....it is supposed to work on any drive.

Thanks for the BD wishes ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice