1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting the computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jay_JWLH, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

This is a huge thread. I had no idea what forum to put this under, but I don't think it should have to go anywhere else other than here. This is a question about reformatting my computer, with no real full answers.

I have really started to notice how slow my computer has become, so I have decided to reformat the computer. Thing is, I am not going to just put back the back-up file, and I am not wanting to lose everything. Thanks to a second hard drive, I have decided to try and go through everything we need and put it on there manually, so to not include what I don't want. I just wanted to know, what do you think I should try and save from this reformat of a computer?

My list:
    • Program files (the instillation file)
    • Start-up files / 'All Programs' (much the same as ^)
    • Browser information (bookmarks, settings, saved passwords, forms (anything else?))
    • Bits of set up information (internet connection, drivers (must check my CD collection))
    • My document files (for all users) / Files stored on c drive (my folder, and everyone elses)
    • Documents and settings (go through them and have a look, not forgetting limewire shared downloads)
    • And your suggestions and reminders

Before doing any of this, I will have to create a few back-up files on DVD's just in case. I have not gone through with it yet, but DriveImage XML seems to be my best option so far. After that is done, I will get onto doing this eventually.
    What do you think I could be missing?

Will this have any problems with the second HDD? Because when I had to install it, I had to reformat the slave HDD. I hope it will work straight out.

Below is a very long list of my programs and my preferences on them, from my Program Files:
    7-Zip (got download file)
    Acronis (Acronis True Image - Remove)
    Adobe (find)
    Ahead (Nero - Got the disk with my DVD+RW drive)
    AIM (get off internet if needed, otherwise got download file. no longer needed)
    Alcohol Soft (Alcohol 52% - got download file, and don't need ISO files)
    aod (don't think I need)
    AOL (remove - only text files)
    Apple Software Updates (comes with latest iTunes download)
    ArcSoft (needs looking into)
    Aspell (program for Opera Spell Check feature. File needs finding)
    AciSynth 2.5 (no files in there - empty)
    AWS
    Backup-2006 studio
    BitTorrent (remove - don't need)
    Britannica (got disk)
    Brother (got driver disk)
    Canon (sister has her Digital Camera disk)
    CDBurnerXP Pro 3 (got download file)
    Common Files
    Context Magic (Free Edition) (Don't use, so remove)
    D-Link (got driver disk)
    DupKiller (got download file)
    DVD Shrink (got download file)
    EA GAMES (BF 1942 - got disk, don't care for saved files)
    EULAlyzer (got download file)
    ewido anti-malware (got download file or on internet)
    FLVPlayer (got download file)
    FreshDevies (got download file)
    Genius (got disk)
    Grisoft (AVG stuff - downloadable)
    HandyBits (find download file)
    HighMAT CD Writing Wizard (remove - don't need)
    Hijackthis (file on desktop - small)
    ImTOO (MOV convertor - got download file)
    InterActual (have to find)
    Internet Explorer (got latest download file, I think)
    iPod (part of iTunes)
    IrfanView (find download file - sister probibly knows)
    iSofter (DVDtoAVI - find file
    iTunes (got download file)
    Java (get back later)
    JGoodies (got download file)
    JGsoft (dont care)
    JJS (got download file)
    LimeWire (got download file)
    LimeWire Turbo Accelerator (remove)
    LucasArts (Galactic Battlegrounds - got disk)
    MagicISO (got download file)
    Maxis (got disk, concerned about saved file)
    Messenger (old version - don't care)
    MessengerPlus! 3 (got download file)
    MS ActiveSync (don't care)
    MS AntiSpyware (can get from internet)
    MS frontpage (got disk)
    MS Games:
    * Age of Empries II (got disk)
    * Age of Mythology (lost serial no. on paper case, remove)
    * Train Simulator (got disk)
    MSN Gaming Zone (who cares)
    MSN Messenger (got download file)
    MSXML 4.0 (? - remove)
    NetMeeting (who cares)
    OfficeUpdate11 (?)
    Online Services (who cares)
    Open Clip Art Library (remove)
    OpenOffice.org 2.0 (got download file)
    Opera (find or have download file - don't forget settings and such)
    Outlook Express (don't care)
    Paragon Software (remove)
    PCFriendly (comes with comp, or disk)
    POP Peeper (got or find file)
    Quicktime (got or find file)
    Real (got or find file)
    Realore (aqua bubble - don't need)
    Registry Mechanic (useless without registering - remove)
    ScanSoft (see 'Brother')
    Skype (got download file)
    Ultra Video To Flash Converter (got download file)
    UnH Solutions (got or find download file)
    Viewpoint (who cares)
    vso (DVD Toolbox - got download file)
    WallpaperSS (got download file
    What is the matrix (remove)
    Windows Defender (got download file, or can get)
    Windows Media Player (who cares)
    Windows NT (who cares)
    WinZip (can't lose it in a world like this)
    xerox (who cares)
    You Ripper (got download file)
    Zone Labs (got download file)

MS = Microsoft

Questions at top.

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

I personally am of the opinion that there are quite a few programs here that are used for viewing/running illegal software so I cannot help you.
    Others may have a different viewpoint.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you can't move installed applications to another installation, you need the installation media and/or file to re-install the applications.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Save My Documents and hopefully you put everything of value in there...then Docs and Settings, You, Application data, Microsoft, Address book (if you use Outlook Express for email) and same start to Local Folders, Application data, Identities, Microsoft, Oe and the email files...now you may have to go into Folder Options, View and uncheck all 3 "hide files" notations and hit apply to be able to see these. Also be wary of programs like Quicken that storetheir own files in the program in Program Files, Quicken.
    One more thought I have found very useful when reformatting and installing fresh, leave the 2nd drive unplugged until after you finish XP install so you don't accidentally format it and setup chooses the correct drive "C" to put Windows on.

5. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Including me. Pick out examples, and there is probibly an explanation for it. Acronis for example, was an expired trial, which is why I don't want to keep it anymore. DVD shrink is dodgy, but that is one hell of a complicated issue when it comes down to 'back-up for personal use of your own collection' sort of thing. I can feel alright betting they are all legal.

6. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Maybe I should have bolded it.
    Already knew about that part, so I would end up doing a lot of reinstalling of previous programs by the end of it. If you feel bad for not noticing that, don't, because it happened last time, although that was on a less tech dedicated forum.:D

7. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Acronis is a pefectly legitimate program.
    Limewire is not.
    DVD Shrink in conjunction with another program, albeit not listed, can overide encrypted dvd's.
    DVD Toolbox can copy pre-recorded DVD's.
    You openly admit that DVD Shrink is dodgy so how do I live with myself if I help knowing you have programs that can copy, decrypt etc commercial software?

8. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Limewire has been begging users to use it for file sharing of legal programs/files. When I got the latest version, it got me to go through a page telling me to do that. It isn't so much the program, but what you do with it. Otherwise it is legitimate, just in so much trouble. :D

I suppose the law is different in different countries, but I remember something about being allowed to make a back-up of your own music (and maybe DVD's) for back-up purposes, because you had already purchased it, and you deserve to be able to watch/listen to it even if you had to copy it in order to make it easier to access the thing you paid for more easily, or to prevent it from being distroyed (music CD's can't remain scratch free forever). Sadly, it does go so far as to have people doing it when they shouldn't.

I want to know peoples opinions on the program DriveImage XML. I don't quite feel convinced that if everything went wrong, I could restore it.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As John pointed out, you cannot move program files and expect the app to run. It must be installed. The reason for this is that when you install an app, it copies files to its own folder as well as the windows and or windows\system32 folder. Since you have reformatted the computer, those files [in the windows and or windows\system32 folder] are no longer there. In addition you must also have the registry entries [which you will not have since you formatted]

While it is technically possible to copy program files, *.dll files over and create the registry entries manually, it would take SO much time as to be almost impossible.

What to copy. Data / work files, pics, music, favorites, etc. Everything else you will need to reinstall.

10. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

I don't mind if you missed it, but like I said last time, I am only going to use the instillation file. I am not just going to copy the program files straight out like that. It might carry the problem over with me if I tried that anyway, if you exclude how it would stop functioning properly. If something is slowing this computer down, it could be in there. But if I clean install it again, it will work better.

Great, now I find I can't edit my thread to show this fact. Eh, people will live.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/517876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice