1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting - to partition or not to partition

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Topazz, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Counting down to Format Day. Running Win 98 with 160mb ram on a Pent II 266mhz and currently have just one drive: C on the 6 gig (don't laugh!) hard disk.

I want my disk to be really nice and tidy this time and I notice that a lot of people partition their disks into at least two drives but do I really need to? I still have 1 gig of that 6 gig free and will reclaim a lot of that back since I won't be reinstalling a lot of the stuff.

If I do partition, what should be on each partition?

If I don't partition, how should I arrange folders on the drive? Should I just let the programs install everything into Program Files and all my data into My Documents, or what?

Thank you!

2. angel

angel

I don't think it's absolutely necessary for you to have multiple partitions with only a 6 gig drive. However, there are reasons to. I have mine currently setup with 3 partitions:
    1. C: OS and program installations (not irrecoverable information. Files that can be recovered by simply reinstalling a program, OS, etc)
    2. D: all documents, data files and downloads (to make it easier to backup information that would be difficult, if not impossible, to recover if the drive were to fail)
    3. E: currently only used for paging file and to make temporary images of the D: drive (in addition to being burned to cd).

Not only does having multiple partitions make things flow a little more smooth if used correctly but can make backups easier and could save you tons of time if you ever need to reinstall your OS, etc.

3. slipe

slipe

Mine is partitioned similar to angel’s. An additional benefit is that I can Ghost the C drive after a fresh install and all of my software is updated and configured. I store the Ghost both on CD and on another drive. If the machine gets klunky I can use the Ghost as a restore disc and be up and running with a fresh system in an hour.

4. RandyG

RandyG

Partitioning is a personal choice more than anything else, especially with smaller drives.

I personally hate partitions . . . unless I have larger than a 10 Gb hard drive. Any partition larger than this can take forever to run a complete Scandisk or Defragment.

Instead of partitioning your drive, add another one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/list_classifieds.asp?type=tosell&category=127

5. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

LOL Randy, you sure get around -- you know more about that site than I do!! Wonder where you got it from...?

Slipe, are you referring to the program Ghost, or using the word as a metaphor? I hear a lot of people do what you do and will be looking into getting it for myself. BTW, did you know that it was developed right here in NZ before Symantec took it over :cool:

6. slipe

slipe

I happen to use Ghost, but it is generic for any disc cloning program. Can sheep use Ghost?

7. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

LOL They sure do - our vast population of sheep is due to their co-operation in beta testing Ghost to its perfection!

8. RandyG

RandyG

I was looking for a site that was selling Hard drives, and noticed you were in NZ, so only searched there!

Yahoo is very pervasive: http://au.yahoo.com/

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice