1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformatting XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kookyzzang, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kookyzzang

kookyzzang Thread Starter

Hi...

I'm new here so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but anyway...a few weeks ago I tried reformatting my computer because the program stopped functioning. However, I had to cancel in the middle of the setup. Therefore, every time I try to reformat the computer, an error message comes up saying that there's a fatal error and that the computer will reboot. How can I start my rebooting from scratch? Is there a way to get rid of this fatal error? Thank you so much for reading!

2. Brend

Brend

If you had to cancel a format its entirely possible its just created a bad sector. Take alook at your HD, see what brand it is. Then go to that companies site, seagate maxtor or whatever. There you will be able to download tools, usualy in the form of a floppy disk or bootable cd image.

burn and boot from this disk, then use the option to perform either a 0 fill drive, or a low level format. That will completly wipe the disk clean, back to factory shipped. The tools usually have a option to perform checks on the drive, i would suggest doing this after the low lvl format, just to double check that the drive is ok.

After this, try installing win as usual, will need to repartition the drive and format, FULL format. That SHOULD work, let me know though :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice