1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Refreshing Data Exported from Access into Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hurryjet, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hurryjet

hurryjet Thread Starter

I imported results from an aggregate query run in Access 2010 into Excel 2010 using MS Query. Then I changed the parameters of my Access query and tried to refresh the results in Excel both by clicking refresh on the toolbar and by right clicking on one of the fields in Excel and selecting refresh. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I have a second related problem which is that when I tried to import data into Excel using the "Export from Access" function, only a handful of the tables and queries in my Access database appeared in the list of available tables and queries to export from. I don't see any pattern to the objects that appeared in the list.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hurryjet

2. OBP

OBP

hurryjet, welcome to the Forum.
    When you imported the query did you just import the data or Import "Link" to the query, as there is a difference.
    I do not have Access/Excel 2010, so I am not sure what he import/export sequences are.
    However you could try this
    Click on the query in Access (do not open it), on the main menu click Copy and then switch the the Excel Worksheet, click on the Cell you want the data to appear in and click Paste Special>Link to data and see if that still works as that is one way it could be done in Access 2000.

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there!

When you say you changed parameters, can you be more specific? I've been working with MS Query in Excel 2010/2013 quite a bit lately, and it can be finicky - albeit robust (still, it's fairly old). For example, if you add/remove fields, you must make those changes manually to the query, or the definition string. Also, if you're returning to a table (default action), you can have additional column headers anywhere in that table, and MS Query will return the database fields only to those matching table fields. Makes it kind of nice if using structured formulas.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice