1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Refurb System Won't Do Setup After Windows 7 Splash Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by UFO, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UFO

UFO Thread Starter

I bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010 desktop with Windows 7 for a friend, and on first bootup the Windows splash screen with the four-color logo comes up, but when that disappears it goes to a black screen momentarily, then to a slightly-illuminated but still dark screen, and just sits there.

When I reboot and do the F8 thing to get to Safe Mode I see the four-option menu of Safe Mode variants plus Start Windows Normally. When I pick Safe Mode it gets to the point where it says "Setup is Preparing Your Computer For First Use" with the bright stripe and Cylon eye - then of course the error message comes up saying "Cannot perform setup in Safe Mode, please reboot to continue" (or however it's worded.) I've tried the Normal Reboot but it always goes to black screen right after the Windows logo - no "Setup is Preparing" thing except in Safe Mode, which is a no-go in any case.

Now it does auto-reboot endlessly, dumping to the menu screen with Safe Mode variants and Start Windows Normally, but now at the top it says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

Since the system is refurbished, there was no OS installation disc set or recovery disc of any kind included, so we're limited to what's on the hard drive.

At one point I was able to get the thing to come up in the Windows 7 screen in light blue with the streaks and the bird (no idea how that happened but it was there,) with the login popups you typically see when you're doing a clean install from licensed OS discs. I clicked through to select a restore to factory default, which brought up the same auto-checklist thing with "This may take several minutes and the system may reboot several times" screen. But once all of that completed it just went back to the Windows splash screen and dumped back to the black screen and sat there.

So far I've tried every option available, including "Last known good configuration," to no avail. The system has been sitting in its box for too long to think about returning it, so I'm looking for a way to get this thing running. Last resort would be to buy a standalone Windows 7 OS disc set, but I'd like to avoid shelling out another 300 bucks on this. Advice?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try using Lubuntu (lighter variant of Ubuntu) or another Linux distribution to try to determine what devices are in good working order before spending any money on the machine. You may be looking at buying a hard drive at least.

3. UFO

UFO Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet,

I don't know how to get a Linux OS onto the same disk when it won't come up at all - or does the Lubuntu go on a different PC altogether, then that gets connected to the faulty one for diagnosis?

Here's another option I'm considering - last-ditch, but a possibility: We have the carton the system came in and the return address of the place that sold it (a third-party seller on Amazon.) It's well past any warranty - the user wanted it as a replacement for a laptop on its last legs so it sat in its box for close to a year - but I'm thinking maybe they can send discs with the OS (tied to the product key on the sticker on the back of the chassis) so we can reload it, 0r get a new HD and load it on that.

Do third-party sellers like that typically keep backup discs for systems they sell? I've always been puzzled about how a discrete OS gets onto a HD - where it's typically the only location it resides. ('Really pissed about the "standard practice" of omitting a separate OS disc set with the sale of a computer, whether new or refurbed.)

Failing all of this we'll have to buy another Windows 7 OS disc set and a new HD and start from scratch. (Orwell 10 I will not touch, under any circumstances, because privacy is as vital as it is under assault.)

Thanks again for your reply,
    <***>

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    An official refurbisher gets a discount on the OS from Microsoft and, I think, includes a way to reinstall or "recover" to the way it was at the time you bought it. Some shady companies install a pirated version. If your retailer is legit they should provide you with an installation DVD or Recovery DVDs (or USB flash drive).

No need to install. Almost any (maybe all) Linux distribution can be run as a "Live CD": that is, just from the CD, DVD or USB flash drive. Ubuntu calls this option something like "Try before installing."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice