1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Refurbished Compaq GX5050: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by redalert95, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redalert95

redalert95 Thread Starter

Okay, to start of HERE is the product that I'm going to be talking about.

Well, my computer is becoming far outdated for my interests, so I'm looking to buy a new one. My chief qualifications are: Up to date, relatively cheap, high-ish quality, and good performance.

Now, this computer, the Compaq GX5050, is one that I've been looking at for a while, it seems to be what I need. My worries are that it got taken off the market for some technical issue that came about with a lot of the systems. But if I had not discovered that, I probably would have bought this computer already. If I had my choice, I'd get one of the ones that never malfunctioned off of eBay, but last time I checked, none were up for bid.

Anyway, I'm scatter-braining. I've never trusted the word "refurbished" very much, but I know Amazon is typically a trust-worthy seller, so what do you guys think? Is this a pretty certain thing, that it would work and not just die after 30 days?

Any comments are welcome.

2. happyrck

happyrck

IMHO avoid ANYTHING refurbished...the warranty's are short...sometimes only 30 days and everybody that I know that bought something refurbished got junk..or it died within 6 months....spend your money wisely

3. Gibble

Gibble

happyrck, I completely disagree, most "refurbished" laptops are merely ones that were bought, and the purchaser later decided they didn't want for whatever reason and returned. It's still in perfect working order.

And as for hardware, on a computer, if it doesn't die within 30 days...it ussually won't die for years...

4. redalert95

Okay, seems we have two conflicting opinions for now. I'm pretty sure they were sent back in due to whatever technical difficulty the system had before it was taken out of the market.

Also, I just noticed something. The Amazon site says "Remanufactured" not "Refurbished", is there a difference between the two of those? Most other sites, if I recall correctly, say "refurbished".

5. Gibble

Gibble

I don't know why I was thinking laptops :rolleyes: anyhow, this computer has a 90 day warranty.

Read here (Compaq and HP are the same company)
    http://www.hp.com/united-states/renew/why_buy_refurbished.html

It sounds like they are the same thing, and like said, MOST of the machines are perfectly fine, but because they have been bought and returned, they can't be sold as new any longer.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I've never seen a Compaq that I've liked :eek:

7. happyrck

happyrck

RENO loves people like you.....when you buy something "refurbished or remanufactured" you are in fact, buying someone else's problem...and making it yours

8. ~Candy~

Who or what is RENO? :confused:

As to refurbs, my laptop was advertised on EBay as a refurb. It was in pristine condition. I got it in Sept. and haven't had an ounce of trouble with it. It had 7 months left on the warranty.

9. Gibble

Gibble

Do you read to what I write? Or do you like living in your distrust of manufacturers, and the belief that they would knowingly sell defective products?

Seriously, the refurbished/remanufactured products are rarely problematic machines. But because it's been sold once allready it can't be sold as NEW.

There is NOTHING wrong with buying refurbished/remanufactured computers.

10. happyrck

happyrck

To Candy ...RENO is in Navada...like Las Vegas

to Gibble...did you ever play "old Maid"...if you didn't ...its a card game and you LOSE if at the end of the game you are left holding the "old maid " card...thats what buying refurbished stuff is like...if its as good as new then why a 30 or 90 day warranty

11. Gibble

Gibble

bla bla bla, believe what you will, but don't go spreading your distrust to others.

...and what the hell does Reno, NV have to do with any of this?

12. ~Candy~

Come on you two, this isn't a debate thread, ok?

Thanks, Rck, didn't know you were from Reno. And it's NEvada :p

13. happyrck

happyrck

typo...I'm in Oregon

14. redalert95

Is that to say the computer I'm looking at is continuing that trend, or breaking it?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice