1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

refurbished Dell or HP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oryan707, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oryan707

oryan707 Thread Starter

I'm considering buying this refurbished HP at an internet cafe that gets old computers wholesale from companies and re-loads the OS. There is also a Dell model. My main questions are:

Whether or not these PCs are defect prone or won't last long ?

Is it better to get a "good for it's time" used PC or a "lower end by today's standard " new PC

Does this sound like a good deal?

$239

HP Dc5100 SFF

Pentium4 630 3.0 ghz socket 775
    Intel i915GV chipset
    2048 DDR RAM
    250 G sata HD
    DVD-CD-rw
    Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet PCie
    Intel 82915 G 128 video card
    Directx V9.0
    8USB
    Windows XP pro.

30 day warranty on parts

Would specifically like know what anyone thinks about the ethernet card...thats not a wi-fi thing right? 'cause i don't want wi-fi.

Does the chipset have decent upgrade potential?
    Is a 128 video card ok?

There is also this model :

$245
    Dell Optiplex 210L

Pentium 4
    3.2 ram
    250G drive
    DVD-RW
    XP pro

I don't have anymore stats on that one but I'm mainly concerned with how stable or durable the system is compred to the HP. There are alot of variants of this model at the store. I've heard alot of mixed messages about wether Dell's are good or not but would just need to know how they are compared to the HP above.

A refurbished PC sounds like a cheaper way to replace my PC as money is an issue...I know the processor will be out of date. But am curious how quickly the hard drives go, as that seems to be the main reason my current PC is dying on me.

Also any thoughts on refurbushed PC's? If they are only four years old, they should still last a while right?

thanks for any help.. Ryan

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I would keep my eye out for new...just watch the ads.
    A 30 warranty isnt much.

3. arknorth

arknorth

As much as I love my old HP, the Optiplex is a workhorse. They are designed with continual running in mind. Many businesses use them as 24/7 machines, which is why there are so many of them out there.

There are other places to look as well when it comes to referbs - and some of them may have longer warranties, or service plans available for even the lowly rebuilt beast. For example, if you have a Micro Center STORE nearby, they sell rebuilt machines for about the same price with 90 day warranties AND the option of an extended warranty. It might wind up being slightly more in the long run than the Cyber Stop, but better for the security of the machine and your outlay.

A-N

4. Compiler

Compiler

$245 for computers that were kind-of slow when they were new... 3~4 years ago? With limited or no upgrade to standard replacement parts of a gaming video card if you need it. Those systems are worth closer to $125~150.

The HDs may live for a few days to another few years... who knows.

Need a PC on the budget? Get this Compaq for $370: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9371869&type=product&id=1218093382970

AMD dual core, 3GB RAM, 320GB HD - much better onboard graphics, standard PSU and include a coupon for a free copy of Windows7. You can get it at any Bestbuy or other retail store for that price. Includes 1 year warranty and will be a quiter computer.

5. Hughv

Hughv

Dell has new machines starting at $249.00 (No monitor), so the deals you're looking at aren't so great. I have given away computers with better specs.
    http://www.dell.com/home/desktops

6. Compiler

Compiler

The $250 Dells have the following going against them:
    - unless they are at Walmart, you'll be waiting about 2-3 weeks to get it.
    - The $250 Dell is either an XP loaded PC with a single core AMD (1.6Ghz)/ 1GB / 160GB HD or the $250 Vista system with same spec but with Vista.

- Vista running on the $250 system would be murder, once you UPGRADE it to a 2.4Ghz dual core AMD / 2GB / 320GB HD like the Compaq - the price jumps to $430. But they have a package deal with a 19" monitor, dual core CPU /2/320 for $450 which isn't bad (I think they sell that at Walmart). Er... what they sell at walmart now is $500 with a slow Celeron CPU. :( But it comes in CO]LORS ! :)

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Personally, of what you listed, I wouldn't want either one. Both models of the Optiplex 210L use BTX form factor boards (most likely built by Foxconn) which have been problematic.

The HP DC5100 is a small form factor (SFF) model and I wouldn't have a SFF machine.

If I had to choose between a Dell and a HP/Compaq machine both with ATX or uATX boards, I would take a Dell any day over a HP/Compaq.

As to your question regarding hard drives, no one can tell you how long a hard drive will last. I get machines in for repair with hard drives that are 6 or 7 years old, I zero fill the drive and test them and they test good. On the other hand I have had machines come in with drives 5 or 6 months old, and the drive is failing. I had one of my own drives with a 3 year warranty fail in 14 months.

I really don't worry about drive failures. I keep a fairly current Acronis True Image backup and after I put in a new drive, I can be back up and running generally in about an hour.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Take a look at refurbished, discount, and overstock machines at www.tigerdirect.com . They have been tested, are guaranteed, and I have had excellent results with their "refurbished" products. I'd be a bit wary of anything "refurbished" if the place selling those items does not have the expertise to test the machines thoroughly since the original problem may not even have been found and solved if only the OS is reinstalled.

I think you can do better for the same money at finding something with more support and warranty.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice