1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Refurbished Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dano_61, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I went looking online for a new desktop computer and I keep running into refurbished ones, is this a new thing, all the big box stores are offering them, Staples Best Buy etc , some of these prices look very good but is it a good idea buying used electronics ?

Any thoughts

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Refurbished have always been around , DELL have offered these fro quite some time
    i know a few members here have refurbished PCs
    i personally have no experience so cannot advise or if this is good idea, you usually get the same length warranties - so thats one thing to check if the warranty is still the same as a new
    Also with the number of offers available now - have a look and see just how much you are actually saving

3. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Thanks Wayne

I dont use my home computer much so investing a lot of money would be silly
    but my system is so old and I and running XP , most refurbs are offering Windows
    10 or 7 I will do a cost saving evaluation new vs refurb

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can also post examples here to see what views you get
    note:windows 7 will be unsupport from 2020 and nolonger free upgrade to W10

5. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

OK, how long will 10 be current ?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

The issues with my current system are, USB ports, i have to use a portable hub and it sucks !!! also 1 GB of RAM and no option to upgrade

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would not be using XP unsupported, or at least not if using the internet at all
    most browsers are nolonger updated, which means a lot of websites will no longer work and the situation is only going to get more vulnerable

Powered USB hub should be OK

No real advantage in upgrading XP above 1GB anyway
    have a look at task manager and that will tell you if its a memory or CPU speed issue

9. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    extended support is when security updates stop
    so
    2020 for W7
    2025 for W10

11. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Here is a example Wayne

IBM ThinkCentre Short Form Factor Refurbished Desktop, 2.3GHz Core2Duo E6550, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD (M57P), English

8 usb ports windows 7

$ 114 plus tax and local electronic disposal tax

12. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

IBM ThinkCentre Refurbished Short Form Desktop PC: Small Business Powerhouse.

Achieve quick, affordable computing for a myriad of business applications with this IBM ThinkCentre Refurbished Short Form Desktop PC. This computer provides a simple out-of-the-box solution to office computing needs.

• 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Processor
    • 2GB DDR2 system memory
    • 80GB hard disk drive
    • Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    • Ports include: 8 x USB 2.0, VGA, LAN, Headphone port, Microphone port, Line in, Line out, E-SATA
    • DVD-ROM
    • Dimensions: 3.9" H. x 12.5" W. x 13.4" D.
    • Product Weight: 16.3 lb.
    • 90-days manufacturer's limited warranty (details with product)
    • Included in the Box: Keyboard and Mouse
    • NOTE: This refurbished PC comes with Windows 7. Upgrades to Windows 10 have not been tested and are not supported by the manufacturer.

Bundled with keyboard and mouse, the IBM ThinkCentre refurbished short form desktop PC provides an easily set up tool with invaluable flexibility. Powerful enough to run a majority of productive software, with features to allow for specialization of each unit and adaptability to new uses, these desktops pack an efficient punch in a small form factor.

SLIM AND FLEXIBLE

When usable space is an issue, having a compact system is important. IBM ThinkCentre desktops provide a small footprint for uses that require every inch of space for efficiency. With plenty of USB connectors on multiple faces of the computer and a built-in Ethernet port, these desktops provide convenient connectivity for multiple devices.

PLUG AND PLAY

With Windows 7 Home edition pre-installed, ThinkCentre desktops are ready to plug and play. Equipped with eight USB ports, a DVD-ROM for installing software from media and an E-SATA port for external storage and backups, each computer offers advanced functionality.

NETWORKING SIMPLICITY

An Ethernet port built into every unit allows these IBM ThinkCentre desktops to become part of your home or business network with a simple CAT5 cable. With a large supply of software available on Internet- or network-based systems, these PCs can be used as terminals, an affordable, easy way to let users access the computing power or data on your centralized systems.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    perhaps a link and price

you only get 90days warranty - a few companies offer 1 year
    what country are you in ?

2GB is the minimum memory - so to give an idea, in XP that was 256MB
    I would want 4GB RAM on any machine now

this is a good site to benchmark and compare CPUs
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    search cpu
    CPU Name Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better) Rank(lower is better)

Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz>> 1502 1467

14. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Seems all the stores are offering the same MFG and similar specs and more RAM is costly

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you have not shown price so difficult to advise
    also what country are you in

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice