1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Refurbished PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EagleEye75, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EagleEye75

EagleEye75 Thread Starter

Hi

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3316 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 148 GB (128 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0PU052
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I just got this refurbished PC Dell Optiplex 755

Just wondered if someone could check it out make sure it ok never bought a refurb before

Regards :)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I personally own 2 refurbished Dell OptiPlex 755 minitowers, so I'm very familiar with that model.
    Mine came with a faster Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR2-800 RAM.

I'm not sure what you want checked out on yours.
    Yours has 4 GB of RAM and has 3.23 GB of it usable - which is about normal for a 32-bit operating system.
    Yours has a 160 GB (148 GB) hard drive - which is sufficient if you don't load it with personal data.
    If yours is a minitower, it should have a 305W power supply.

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  3. EagleEye75

Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply

Service Tag: BB34S3J
    Express Tag: 24614995519

Almost right with the power supply it is 275w

There are some issues I tried to download bitdefender free as planned on putting that on the machine but cancelled forget reason but now I am getting a pop up (see pic) everytime machines boots and around every 20-25 mins and not sure how to stop this.

Bitdefender popup.jpg

I also have this thing on it called "DriverPack Solution" saying it the Manufacturer would this be correct.

Regards

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have THIS Dell OptiPlex 755 Small Form Factor.
    According to its original system configuration, it shipped in June 2008 in the U.K. and came with Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit.

It has the same Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 processor.
    The original 80 GB(74 GB) hard drive has been replaced with a 160 GB(148 GB) hard drive.
    The original 1 GB of RAM has been increased to 4 GB.
    Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit has been replaced with Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit.

Yours has a 275W power supply instead of a 305W one because it has a smaller case.
    Unless you have a space issue, you should've bought one with the larger minitower case.
    These problems are brought on by your downloading and installing habits.
    There's nothing that I can do about it from here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. EagleEye75

Hi Frank

First thank you for taking the time and looking at this that drivepack solution was on machine before I even switched it on and connected it to the internet it came like that nothing to do with my browsing.

The bitdefender thing happened cause something was going wrong nothing to do with my browsing habits not sure how you have came to this conclusion as I have done very little with this machine.

so there maybe there is something wrong with this machine so would you suggest I make another topic in another section of this forum so this can be looked at.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I misunderstood you and assumed that you had installed Driver Pack Solution.
    You don't need it, so get rid of it.

I would get rid of BitDefender and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials.
    It's lighter on resources and more user-friendly.

There's no need to start another thread for this computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. EagleEye75

ok np ..do I go to uninstall a program to remove it also that bitdefender it not installed just that pop up appearing

8. EagleEye75

change that the bitdefender agent was there so I uninstalled it ..sorry

in uninstall and change a program I have "driverpack notifier" and "driverpack solution updater" I assume both to go but just checking

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Whatever needs to be uninstalled can be done in the "Programs And Features" list.

10. EagleEye75

Thanks frank .. but it still says driverpack solutions as manufacturer but uninstalled "driverpack notifier" and "driverpack solution updater" from the program and features list

have removed avast using revo uninstaller and the avast removal tool

and installed 360 total security as I have that on another PC

one other thing can you advise what wireless card to get for this machine

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Premiertek Powerlink PL-U3005N is what I use when I need to use a wireless connection with a desktop.
    http://www.premiertek.net/products/networking/PL-U3005N.html

It's also a good one to use with a laptop if its built-in wireless device goes bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. EagleEye75

Thanks for your suggestion but not sure I can get that in the uk but it's just a USB adapter that works there is no pci wireless cards that I can fit in that case

13. EagleEye75

Hi

I am also having issues with windows update it seems to be not working it just hangs at checking for updates also anything to do with windows update is not working like it can't find the driver for my wireless keyboard.

The security patches that my 360 security found just hangs at installing the first patch it never moves

Tried the windows update diagnostic tool but it hangs on checking online for updates

been trying all day nothing is making it work

maybe I could run a program so to give some logs to see whats going on just let me know

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're having too many issues with that refurbished computer that you shouldn't be having and which is difficult and time-consuming to resolve from here.
    I suggest you ask someone computer-knowledgeable to help you.

I suggested using an external USB wireless adapter because it's a lot quicker and a lot easier than installing and using an internal wireless card.
    I'm only familiar with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless card, so I don't know which one to recommend to you.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  15. EagleEye75

Hi Frank

Thanks for the help

but I can't believe there is not anyone on here that can't help me nobody has even asked for any logs or even tried with this issue as far as I can tell this update issue is the only problem albeit a big one for now

so if someone else can take this over and help me properly please feel free

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice