1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Refurbished PC's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCvirgin, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Which brands are better?

2. winbob

winbob

Virgin,

I guess that the obvious answer would be, ones that were the best to start out with!
    Also find out what refurbished means. If you are buying off a site like Overstock.COM, then it may be a new unit that was "returned to sender" after being opened, and can not be sold as new (legally).

I just bought a monitor off of Overstock, "refurbished", and you can not tell it from new.

3. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Just from looking at my refurbished PC, it looks like a new unit. It was purchased from PCMall.

4. doggard

doggard

Dell also supply refurbished units [returns] complete with 12 month warrenty and all software that was origionally supplied with the unit as around 30% lower than the new price.

5. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Dog:

What is your take on HP?

6. doggard

doggard

HP/Compaq make OK-ish machines as do Dell.The main problem with them is if you are a constant up-grader as some have proprietary parts such as motherboards or power supplies in them but for the price they are competitive with the rest of the major suppliers and if you purchase a high specification system then upgrading should be the last thing on your mind.
    The only other problem is if you need their technical support its usually a premium rate pay per minute call [so you soon learn to fix the problems yourself :)].

7. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Dog:

I have a high specificaiton system. I am considering getting the extended warranty which provides support.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I hate them, but you didn't ask me. ;)

They use low powered PSUs, they have cramped cases, they load a ton of garbage you will never use or want on their machines.

Spyware included ie backweb and wild tangent.

They run HOT and there is nowhere to add a fan unless you chop the case to pieces.

Tech support used to be good, but so did their machines. Tech support now sucks.

I could go on and on. If you think you will like the HP, buy it. But if you want any graphics ability at all or want to run any hoggish programs don't do it.

The processor I am running came out of an HP I bought memorial day weekend 2003.

The CD burner failed after the first month, the thing started crashing for no reason. Well it had a reason, no power and too hot. I ripped the guts out of it and built a machine with what I could use from the HP.

Then I started replacing parts as I could afford them. Once I dump the processor I will have nothing left but the keyboard. The keyboard is sweet.:)

Check local builders and see what they would charge you to put a machine together for you. I don't know anything about other manufacturers but I do know HP/Compaq.

9. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

HP's multimedia PC's are nice. They work good, have lots of room in the case, they don't run hot, and they look really good too. I can see them needing some tweaking with XP, and removing some of the useless crap they pre-install. Also, a new video card is necessary if you are gamer (They are designed for MM, not games)

10. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Ski:

In my situation, the HP PC was not purchased by me. My old PC warranty company purchased it for me (n) . Despite the useless software, I like some of the features of it (512 RAM,120 HD, Keyboard, NVidia GEoForce 4 Graphics Card) :) :D (y) . The HP reseller also installed a TV Turner on it. I am wondering if I can get some of that dumb useless HP software.

I wonder why you found HP Tech Support to be sh*tty. Please give me the low down b/c I am considering purchaseing an extended warranty w/HP.

11. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

TDI:

I am wondering about how to remove some of the useless software. Should I try the safe software removal program that installed?

12. doggard

doggard

Just use the ADD/Remove feature built into windows what the lads/lasses are refering to is that some of the software that is supplied on these systems is family orientated so you may well not get the use out of it all that someone much younger would :)

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I couldn't understand the guy I talked to. Granted I only called them once, but that was enough. I don't know whether they farmed it out overseas or not. I just had a VERY bad experience with the last HP I bought.
    Before that I liked them OK. I just don't want you to get a machine that won't fit your needs. If your needs are day to day surfing etc, you should be OK with an HP.
    If you want to do anything intensive on the machine you are going to be disappointed.
    As mentioned before, you would need to upgrade the video card if you want to do anything graphically intensive. What wasn't mentioned was that to put a video card in you would have to up your power supply, at least if you were to put a top or medium range graphics card you would.
    A regular PSU doesn't like to fit in an HP case. You jump through hoops to get one to fit.
    Also the heat issues in the tiny cases happens on almost every HP I have ever seen. You can cut a blow hole in the side panel and add a fan.
    I think you might be OK with an HP. Just look closely at what you want it for.;)

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

15. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/259808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice