1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

refurbished?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deademon, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deademon

deademon Thread Starter

not sure if this is the best place for the question, but i saw peripherals in the description of the forums.

so my question, is there a guide or something giving me the heads up about refurbished items? like are they trust worth or something along those lines. or may i ask you guys about what you think of it? is it a good idea to buy refurbished? this is pertaining to a camera.

thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I guess it depends how much you trust the retailer and what guarantee comes with it.

Personally, I buy refurbished very often. Most products are not tested when made. A sample size is chosen that assures a high percentage of working products, say 99% or more, but it is unusual that every single product coming down the assembly line is tested.

So, some bad ones get through. The company assumes a level of acceptable failure. But refurbished items have been tested and repaired, so they are far more likely to be working than even the new ones. And if they give you a guarantee, even if only 30 days, any major fault will surely appear in that time.

I have always had good luck with the refurbished items at Tigerdirect.com, but I would be hesitant to buy any from a retailer that I had never done business with before. Guarantess are only good if backed up with action.

(Keep in mind, also, that some items labelled as "refurbished" may actually be brand new, either as returns or that have minor cosmetic imperfections. I got an electronic encyclopedia at 10% retail price because it had a barely visible discoloration of the case. That is usually explained on the sale site if they do this sort of thing.)

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What is the seller's return policy ??
    Does it sill have the Mfr's Warranty ??

I bought a Refurb Computer once .. But it was a build out when the Mfr. changed models.
    It was actually brand new.

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I have purchased many reburg computers in the past and 90% of those were new never used; but had been sent back to warehouse. I bet I have purchased a dozen from Ubid.com for family and friends with excellant results and they back up what they sell.

Good luck:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice