Regarding router and modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snaptvrs

Hi everyone, so im trying to help a friend of mine who is staying at a dorm. The dorm already has a modem when she first check in, but doesn't have a router so she went to get one. After hooking it up, she's connected to the WiFi but it returns with Request timed out. I looked at her set up and realised her modem doesnt have a land line connected to it, but has a optical cable connected. Im wondering if the missing land line is the reason why there is no internet access. Can someone assist here? Also shes there to stay temporary so it doesnt really make sense to get a land line nor the dorm comes with a land line. The staff there aint really friendly and did not help so im desperately looking for help anywhere else. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

TerryNet

Terry
Did she sign any kind of agreement for the dorm? What, if anything, does it say about internet service?

Is there any "documentation" for the dorm--what's allowed, what's expected, how to get internet access, etc.? If so, what does it say about internet service?

Has she asked the staff or management "what are my options for internet access in the dorm?"?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online