1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Regarding Superfetch and Host Process Errors

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ekonsine, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ekonsine

ekonsine Thread Starter

Okay, i'm having a couple problems on my PC and i'm not sure how to handle it. Usually to fix a problem i'd start by running AVG, Spybot, CC Cleaner doing a defrag, and a disk check--this time it didn't resolve the problem. I uninstalled some unused programs, cleaned a bunch of old files off my computer--that didn't work either. After that point someone suggested to me I run an SFC, to which I did, it found no errors.

Anyway, first a bit about my PC.

I'm running on a Toshiba Satellite A200-MR5, Vista 32 bit, with 2 Ghz--It has service pack two. [I'm not computer savy, so if theres more info needed please say so]

Anyway, i've been noticing the speed on my laptop decreasing exponentially! I also noticed that my mouse is constantly blinking as if it's loading something o_O I hardly have anything on my hardrive XD When I turn on/log in to my computer I usually get the error "Superfetch has stopped running," that was at the point where I ran a SFC and found no errors. I put Superfetch in services.msc to--Automatic, and started it. I thought everything was working fine. I restared, then came to my log in screen, typed in my password, and recieved a black screen for a few minutes--then an error popped up saying "Host process for windows services has stopped working and was closed." I lost the signal for my wireless network at that point too, and had to repair it and "start the wireless service" I've tried disabling Superfetch, which stops all the errors, but my computer is still much slower than normal, and I actually want to resolve the problem.

I read somewhere to check in event viewer to find out what the problem is that made the errors, and i'm finding a lot of errors and I don't know how to deal with them. I'll list a few here:

Error 30/04/2011 3:34:26 PM Service Control Manager 7032 None "The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the WLAN AutoConfig service, but this action failed with the following error:
    An instance of the service is already running."
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Portable Device Enumerator Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The WLAN AutoConfig service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7034 None The Diagnostic System Host service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s).
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Distributed Link Tracking Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Tablet PC Input Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Superfetch service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Program Compatibility Assistant Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Network Connections service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 100 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Human Interface Device Access service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The ReadyBoost service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:25 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None The Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Error 30/04/2011 3:29:10 PM Application Error 1005 (100) "Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\Prefetch\SOFFICE.BIN-FFFF76B3.pf for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Host Process for Windows Services because of this error.

Sorry about the error dump--I really don't know what to make of it. There's also a lot of errors from "Bonjour Service," which as far as I can tell is essential for my Ipod to run, because everytime I uninstall it, my Ipod gets mad and reinstalls it before it will work o_O

I really don't know what to do next to fix this >.< and as I have way to much important data, and no where to back it up to atm, i'm really just trying to avoid doing a restore or reinstall at the moment. >.< Please someone help me! If theres more information I can give please let me know, tell me how. :D I'm learning!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since hard drives will all die and take all their contents with them, you should put some major effort into finding a way to backup anything that you do not want to lose forever. It is possible that the drive is dying now and you were one of the lucky ones that got a short warning. Even trying to solve this problem could push it over the edge to oblivion.

Run chkdsk /r and check the report for bad clusters after it runs.

Check your RAM.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

-------------------------------------------------

If those come back OK, the next most likely cause is an infection, possibly a rootkit. Go to Malware for help with cleaning up.

3. ekonsine

ekonsine Thread Starter

I will try those things and post back. Is there a lifespan to pc hardware? I've only had this laptop a few years. >.<

4. ekonsine

ekonsine Thread Starter

Okay, I did as you asked. First I did Diskcheck, it didn't seen to find any errors, but it day say something about allocated space but it flashes by so quickly I couldn't read it--when I logged on I noticed my hardrive had gained 10gb's of space, i'm assuming that is because I uninstalled a lot of games the other day. So now my hard drive says it is using 72 Gbs -just under 40 of those being in "my documents," and that I have 205 gb's free.

Then I checked my Ram using the program in one of the links you sent, it said it had zero errors.

I did the memory check, it didn't find errors

I logged in, no error posts showed up, and it seems okay speed wise ftm, but when I check in event fewer there are still a lot of errors with many different things, most of them I haven't heard of. New ones keep poping up >.<

I'm really not sure where to go from here, so any advice [especially leaned toward a novice] would be much appreciated.

Thank you

5. ekonsine

ekonsine Thread Starter

Errors are poping up again, and now my cursor seems to be constantly loading something. I do recon about a month ago while I was doing a windows update, somehow a really bad malware program got in and took a hold of windows defender, but AVG caught it and disabled/deleted it, but I think at the time AVG must have deleted windows defender too because my system says it doesn't exsist anymore. Since then everytime theres been a windows update my PC has slowly started to develop more and more problems. XD

Do you think doing a reinstall is the best course of action?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice