1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Regedit Education

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by specialkjl, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. specialkjl

specialkjl Thread Starter

Hi-

I am interested in finding out if there is some sort of software developed to educate someone (with advanced pc experience), on windows registry editor. My attention span for reading technical manuals is very limited, so I am not really looking for books or manuals. Either online education of some sort or a software program that teaches regedit. I don't have the time to go to regular classes say at an ITT tech institute (nor am I interested in becoming a regedit guru), just want to be able to understand how it works and simple intermediate modifications w/out crashing my pc :))
    Thank you in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
    I am new to this forum but was a branch office network admin (more help desk issues) for several years, so I am overall pc literate.:)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're asking for a short course in brain surgery! There is no shortcut to understanding the registry. Many of us are comfortable working with the registry, but I know very few people that really know "everything there is to know" about the registry.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

In windows XP if you open the registry editor and click on Help>Help Topics, this will open the help file, then click on the Index tab to learn all about it.

It is the heart of the operating system, and can damage the OS installation if you make changes in the wrong places, not for the inexperienced.

4. specialkjl

specialkjl Thread Starter

I knew that I was asking something that probably wouldn't be easy. Can you all advise me in terms of a book for registry editor that would be somewhat easy to follow? Or does that not exist? I thought to order this one:

Microsoft Windows XP Registry Guide by Jerry Honeycutt

However, if it is too complex it might not be for me. Can you guys let me know if this is a good book to start with or is there maybe a beginners guide to regedit out there you know of (minus the "dummies" books :))
    Any guidance would be truly appreciated & THX again for you replies!:D

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not sure why you're so hot to start hacking at the registry! What do you hope to accomplish?

I don't know about other folks, but my "training" was OJT when I needed to find something or fix something that was registry based. I'd simply search the Internet for suggestions and see if other folks had the same issues and how they solved them.

The way you're going to "learn the registry" is by doing, and make sure you have it backed up! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice