1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

regedit.exe problem in win 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bobmheather, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobmheather

bobmheather Thread Starter

I need to know how to run regedit.exe in protected mode. Thank you.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

"protected mode"?

Don't know what you are referring to.

You CAN run it in Safe Mode, the same as usual.

What are you trying to do?

If you are trying to use registry commands in DOS, it is quite difficult to know what you are doing.

Are you trying to restore your last booted registry?

Maybe this is what you are looking for...

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q131/4/31.ASP&NoWebContent=1

3. bobmheather

Thank you Rollin' Rog for your quick reply. I have already visited the url you posted and when I tried to go through the steps listed I get the error "unable to open file" I followed the link on that page and and it states "to work around this problem use registry editor in protected mode". Im dealing with the 6107 error. Any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, well that is not much help if you are unable to boot normal windows, because the "protected mode" they are referring to is just that.

But what is "error 6107" and when is it occuring?

-- has the system booted successfully since you started receiving it? If it hasn't, you can follow the steps in that article to boot system.da0 which is the last booted registry.

5. bobmheather

when I booot the computer I get the error "the following error has occured while loading the device driver vnetsup. Error 6107 cannot setup instance data." After this it asks me to restore the registry and restart the computer. I do this and when it restarts it goes through the exact same thing again. Like I said earlier I tried to follow the steps in that article to restore the old registry but I am unable to because I get the message unable to open file.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, got it now:

This is an oldie and baddie.

Have you followed the steps to restore System.da0, under the header Using System.da0

This is independent of the steps in the previous section and does not involve using the registry editor or opening any file, just renaming one and restarting.

If that fails I would recommend taking the steps to reinstall Win95, rather than load system.1st. A successful reinstall will not invalidate already installed programs; but loading system.1st will simply insert the very first registry created by Windows and everything installed subsequent to that will need to be reinstalled.

You will need your ProductKey to do a reinstall of course. If you don't have it it can easily be obtained in DOS.

7. bobmheather

I opted to reinstall windows thanks. Now I have another problem, I installed a D-link DFE-530TX+ PCI network adapter and cannot seem to get the driver to work. I went to d-links website and downloaded the '95 driver then unzipped it and tried to run the install program. I get the message Exec Failed. Can you tell me what im doing wrong, thanks again

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to hear you managed that all right.

You should create a new topic for this one, perhaps best in the Hardware forum.

Do make sure you have the right driver file to install for the specific card. Sometimes it is actually necessary to check the version on the chip on the card itself. At least that's what I had to do when helping install a linksys card. Other than that I don't have a clue.

Be sure to explain just what you see in the unzipped installation folder. Typically there will be a .inf file rather than a self executing setup. You must remove the card from the Device Manager, reboot and then when Windows detects the presence of the installed card and prompts you for the driver location, point to the unzipped folder with the .inf file.

9. bobmheather

ok thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice