1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Regenerating a hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iralaser, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iralaser

Iralaser Thread Starter

One of my hard disks has bad sectors and has failed the self-test. I would like to zero-fill all the sectors to attempt to remedy the problem. (To do this, I'd like to copy all the partitions as dirctories to another partition on another disk, using file-by-file copy.) And then I would copy these directories as partitions back to the disk that will be full of zeros.

The first partition is bootable.

My question is whether a simple file copy will still make what had been the bootable partition once again bootable. Or is it necessary to have the files in certain locations on the disk?

I am running Windows XP SP3 on a machine with an E2180 CPU, and disks of 2000 GB, 320 GB, 250 GB and 200 GB.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I would strongly advise that you change your hard disk. While a zero-fill of the nature you describe may be a short term solution, in general once a disk begins to fail it will worsen rapidly from then on, and your data will be increasingly at risk as time goes on.

In answer to your question, no a simple copy of the files and folders will not be enough. However it is my understanding that if you create a full disk image, you can restore that image onto a hard disk and it will be bootable. As I mentioned above, I would suggest it is better restored onto a new drive but that is your decision.

See this TSG Library of Knowledge article for a list of backup and imaging utilities.

3. Iralaser

Iralaser Thread Starter

Thanks, Ent. I am willing to take a chance on zero filling.

I understand that simple file and directory copying will not be good enough. How about doing this sort of copying and then restoring the MBR with a dedicated program for that purpose?

Or, how abut doing the two-way file and directory copying, and then if the disk will not boot, install Windows on the first partition as an "upgrade"? Will that fix up the MBR?

How about copying to first partition to another disk, as a partition copy. Then copying the other partitions from the original drive by file copying. And then zero filling, followed by copying the first partition as a partition copy back to the zero-filled disk, followed by file copies to the additional partitions on the original disk?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Zero filling a drive won't fix the bad sectors, if you want to go down this path then at least run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive and have it mark off the bad sectors properly.

If you want to copy the data off there's plenty of free disk imaging/cloning applications just for this purpose; here's just one example: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice