1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

registered user change

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paulsz28, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulsz28

paulsz28 Thread Starter

Ok, I've read the threads on how to change who my puter is registered to by going into regedit, blah blah blah. Now, how do I change the "Documents and Settings" folder name when I search for the old registered name?

That may be confusing, here's an example:

-My puter was registered to "X and Y"
    -I changed registered user to "X" by going into regedit
    -When I search for "X and Y" on my puter, the "Documents and Settings folder" comes up and still shows "X and Y" as its name and I cannot change the name of that folder. How do I change the name of this folder?

Thanks,
    PS

2. putasolution

putasolution

Log on to the computer as an administrator.
    Create a new folder.
    Open the current "Documents and Settings" folder.
    On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced settings click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files check boxes.
    Click OK.
    Click and drag to copy all the folders to the new folder, except for the currently logged on users folder.
    In Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the User Profiles tab.
    Copy the current user's profile to the new folder.
    Click OK, close Control Panel, and then log off and log on to the computer as an administrator again.
    In Registry Editor, click Find on the Edit menu.
    Type documents and settings, and then click Find.
    Replace the value data or rename the value or registry key to the new path for each and every registry key and value that contains the original path.

NOTE: You must complete this change for every instance in the registry or your computer may not start. It is imperative that you update all registry keys and values with the new path.

Restart the computer.
    You can now safely remove the original "Documents and Settings" folder.

To be fair, It would probably be easier just to create a new user, and move any files and folders that you want to the new folder, and then delete the old user!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/349432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice