1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

registered user ID

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gomar, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gomar

Gomar Thread Starter

First Name:
    Gomar
    What is the registered user ID for? It appears to be hard to change, as well as
    the product ID. I used Winhacker 2.0 to change it. Seems to be solely used
    to register your PC when you buy it.

I had changed the registered user ID(as well as the C:\ drive) to my name because if the PC is stolen I could prove it's mine.
    I would like to know if when you visit a site that has cookies, the server stores/logs your PC's registered user ID or if it's only stored on your PC?
    However, in the cookies folder, all cookies are named my [email protected].
    Also, is it possible for the site's admin to know who visited by using the registered user ID even if it's changed to JohnDoe, or by using the IP address?
    I guess the IP address cannot be changed no matter what, thus you will always be tracked.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The IP address always leads right to you at all times. Generally, the user ID would not be transmitted to web sites, but the Windows product key and activation code are often checked by Microsoft. Also, the media player can transmit a unique player ID that is used by only your machine.

What is the concern?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/710291