1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry Checker re-post

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gud2bkng, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

I am getting this same problem...PLEASE HELP :confused:
    I do have a win98 disc, and here is a run down of my situation.
    I have 2 PC's a HP (working) and an old NEC (was working) I decided to fdisk the NEC and clean out it's HD. It was booting ok, but I am giving it away and wanted to give them a squeaky clean HD. After the fdisk, I started getting numerous errors, and finally had to resort to hooking up the fdisked HD to the functional PC. It installs win98, and reboots just fine. So I proceed to removing it and placing it back in the non-working comp. Here we go......
    Win98 boots, goes through a few 'add new hardwares' and then I must restart for settings to take place. It restarts and quickly goes into the Registry Checker, finds an error, and claims it is restoring a good registry (from where I don't know since it is a new install) and that I must restart the comp. When I restart, whammo it goes into the checker again, and a loop begins.
    M$ 's website describes this problem and they suggest bad memory, but I don't think this is my problem, seeing how the memory was fine prior to the fdisk. I even bought a new RAM stick, and receive the same problem. I tried their command switches "c:\scanreg /fix" wait, then "c:\scanreg /opt" and restart. All I get is the add new hardware and then the checker....
    I can get into the F8 safe mode menu, but when I try booting to safe mode I get the checker first thing. I can boot to a command prompt, but then what?

Sorry this is so long for a first post, but I have tried everything short of a tech shop, and paying 100 some bucks an hour for a machine I plan to give away.
    Help please.....
    Thanks.

2. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

i can try another windoze install, it will be the second or third, but i am trying everything short of sacrificing old PC parts the comp gods!!

the non-working PC had a single 64 RAM stick. thinking maybe bad memory was the issue, i replaced it with a new 64 stick. and still no luck.

thanks for the help i'll keep checking for more ideas.

3. deanas

deanas

Hi gud2bkng:
    After you fdisk did you then reboot & format?

4. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

yes sir. sure did

5. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

This topic is another thread, but I have faith in the readers of this forum that someone out there has the answer. I am starting a new thread with a different subject, in case someone with registry experience sees the topic.
    ------------------------------
    I have 2 PC's a HP (working) and an old NEC (was working) I decided to fdisk the NEC and clean out it's HD. It was booting ok, but I am giving it away and wanted to give them a squeaky clean HD. After the fdisk, I started getting numerous errors, and finally had to resort to hooking up the fdisked HD to the functional PC. It installs win98, and reboots just fine. So I proceed to removing it and placing it back in the non-working comp. Here we go......
    Win98 boots, goes through a few 'add new hardwares' and then I must restart for settings to take place. It restarts and quickly goes into the Registry Checker, finds an error, and claims it is restoring a good registry (from where I don't know since it is a new install) and that I must restart the comp. When I restart, whammo it goes into the checker again, and a loop begins.
    M$ 's website describes this problem and they suggest bad memory, but I don't think this is my problem, seeing how the memory was fine prior to the fdisk. I even bought a new RAM stick, and receive the same problem. I tried their command switches "c:\scanreg /fix" wait, then "c:\scanreg /opt" and restart. All I get is the add new hardware and then the checker....
    I can get into the F8 safe mode menu, but when I try booting to safe mode I get the checker first thing. I can boot to a command prompt, but then what?

Sorry this is so long for a first post, but I have tried everything short of a tech shop, and paying 100 some bucks an hour for a machine I plan to give away.
    Help please.....
    Thanks
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not quote the entire post, but it's topic is "Windows 98 not booting"

ty

6. $teve

$teve

ok.........ive read your post about 6 times to make sure i understand it fully...........whenb you did the fdisk and format,did you re-partition the drive?
    also,you state that its out of an old machine........how old and how long has the drive been dormant/un-used.
    it sounds like the drives gone bad,but you could try once more and partition it(if you didnt do that the last time)maybe if theres a bad sector it will be isolated to one partition.....i dont even know if that is logical or not.
    but you have nothing to lose.
    good luck.

7. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

the machine is probably 3-4 yrs old.
    it was dormant maybe a year, but i have booted it up, and prior to the fdisk (1st time) it booted ok, no errors, no problems. Only reason i formatted was the wipe out the HD and start with a fresh one, which has backfired on me.

i believe i did repartition the drive during the fdisk, i can only try again, i am not an experienced 'fdisker' so maybe i left something out of the process.

thnaks for the help,

8. $teve

$teve

your very welcome,i hope it fixes your problem;)

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Out of curiosity, prior to the Fdisk when the NEC PC worked fine with the RAM, did the hardrive have W98 on it or did it have W95 or Windows 3.1?

10. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

it had win98.

the story in the begining was that my now working PC crashed, so i removed the HD from the NEC and made it the master, the other HD a slave.

after formatting the then non-functioning PC it allowed win98 to install.

then i re-hooked the second HD back up to the NEC, and since i was planning on giving it away, a friend did the first fdisk, then the problems started. it would not allow a new install of win98.

i removed it from the NEC, and hooked it back up to the working comp. this time it allowed the install. when i hooked it back up to the NEC, i am now getting the reg checker errors, and the loop.

any ideas?

11. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Have you tried pulling all of the cards from the NEC, except obviously the video card, and then booting up?

Have you tried clicking on Cancel when the hardware wizard is displayed? If you can get into Windows any way possible, this is what you want to do

Start>Run, key in msconfig and press enter. Click on the Startup tab and then uncheck "ScanRegistry" and click on Apply.

Unchecking ScanRegistry isn't a permanent fix but if that stops the reboots, then there's absolutely no doubt what so ever that the RAM sticks are causing it. W98 runs that app at startup and the registry is scanned in pure memory. Any defect in the RAM, it's slot, how the RAM is seated in the slot, mismatched RAM or it's compatibility with the motherboard, will manifest itself with that error your getting at startup, if it is the RAM causing it which in almost 99 percent of the cases, it is.

12. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

after i install win98, or go into command prompt only and use the c:scanreg /fix and scanreg /opt

the PC starts, looks for new hardware, and i have tried different things.
    1.i let it look for all drivers etc.
    there are 2 or three it can't find,
    none look like it would hold it up.
    2.skipped all installations.

when i do #1 i get the message saying i have to restart because of changes, so i have....
    a.said yes, and gone straight into the checker
    b.said no, and let it go through rest of drivers which then when i restart i go to the checker.

i tried removing the ethernet card (which had been on it before) and skipped all the drivers. i finally get to the desktop, but as soon as it stops thinking i get an error saying the vga settings are incorrect, and i need to run setup again.

there used to bea voodoo card on thsi machine, but now it does not have any graphics card, i thought about putting the Voodoo back in and seeing if it gets me anywhere.

i have tried with the old RAM, and the new RAM i purchased, (it should not matter if one is pc100 and the new one is pc133 right?)

i have taken the HD out, placed it back in the working PC and backed up the registry, no luck.

i can try unhooking stuff inside but i am not sure what else is in there that i could? the CD-rom? the floppy?

i am baffled by this one, it has become personal, and so far nothing has worked. :confused:

13. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

can i place the HD in the other PC go into msconfig and disbale it there? would it carry over, and if that works, what are the chances i purchased bad RAM?

do i need pc100 if that is what it had before? i thought pc133 would work, just run at 100 if it had to.

thanks, i hope it is memory, not anything too serious.

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It can matter that the new RAM is PC133. Some older motherboards don't like PC133.

Try this from a DOS prompt

edit c:\windows\scanreg.ini

If you see a line that reads Backup=1, you want to modify to read Backup=0. Or if you see no line that reads, Backup=X, you want to add a line that reads like the one below. That should disable ScanRegistry.

Backup=0

When your done, press the ALT key, then the Down arrow key. Now highlight "Save" and press Enter to save the changes.

Let us know what happens

15. gud2bkng

gud2bkng Thread Starter

i will try that when i get home, i have been in that ini file, but can't remember what it was set to

thank you for all the help, i'll post what i find out, or if you get any other ideas i'm listening. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/67035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice