1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry Cleaner for Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Airmiles, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

Whilst I had Windows XP I was using EasyCleaner 2.0 as my registry cleaner. It worked well. However I now have a laptop with Windows Vista and would aloso like to keep my registry clean, however I have read that there are some problems using Easycleaner with Vista. So my question is which registry cleaner is best to use with Vista and how do I use it. Someone on this forum was very helpful last time when I needed a registry cleaner and he explained exactly which options to have selected before using it.

Thanks in advance,

Airmiles

2. rebon

rebon

3. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

Thanks. Are there any good free ones like EasyCleaner Toniarts for Vista?

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

5. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

But I would like to know which ones work with Vista. :)

6. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

I have used Easy Cleaner 2.0 with no problems whatsoever on Windows XP, so if you are saying not to use a cleaner then I am sorry that is not the answer for me. :)

7. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

A chap on this website told me about Easy Cleaner 2.0 a few years ago, and it is very good for Win XP.

8. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

CCleaner I would not touch as I can see that with this one you can make a mistake and the whole pc will not work anymore. That is why I liked Easy cleaner. Easy to use

9. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That is the most consistent answer that you will hear, Not to use a Reg Cleaner.

What any of us may use to clean our system and that works well for us is one thing.
    But what we can be recommended on an open forum, with people just viewing the answers given is another matter.

There are many posts here,where the use of a Reg Cleaner has caused many problems.
    Not being able to start the computer is just one of them.

10. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

Okay I understand, but a gentleman from this forum once explained to me how to use the Easy Cleaner Toniarts. He told me exactly what to check and uncheck and he told me which files not to delete. I have followed his instructions and I have had no trouble. That is all that I am saying. I am not talking about other people but about me. I am careful with what I delete, but I have tried Easy Cleaner and it will not work with Vista. My desktop is running absolutely great and I use EC 2.0 on it. I will not use for example CCleaner as to me it looks very easy to delete something which can cause errors and make pc/laptop not run. That is why I just wanted to ask a professional if he knew of a good one to use on Vista and whether he/she could give me advice on how to use it properly.

11. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yep I use to recommend Easy Cleaner on this forum.
    As did the gentleman you refer to.
    Tick the 4 top boxes in Unnecessary file and only remove the green entries in the reg cleaner section.
    But hearing so many problems using reg cleaners on this and other forums, I now do not recommend any of them.
    One case in point.
    http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/745901-registry-errors.html#post6102352

You say "My desktop is running absolutely great"
    Keep it that way and stay away from cleaning the registry.
    That's me last word. :)

Why not to use a reg cleaner..
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

12. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

I am reading through the link you gave me, but it does not talk about Easy Cleaner. It is talking about a registry cleaner I would not use. Some I think do reck machines. I just wnated to know if there was a similar one to Easy Cleaner that I can use on my Vista machine. That was all. I understand what some of you are saying but just want to have a pc that is running smoothly and free of clutter. Thanks.

13. Orumph

Orumph

This is the only Reg Cleaner for Vista I would recommend for anyone to use.
    I wish they would make the reg cleaner stand alone download that runs portable from usb.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Here are 2 other tools that I also recommend.

Erunt (Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista) and
    NTREGOPT (Registry Optimization for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista)

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

14. Airmiles

Airmiles Thread Starter

Can you tell me how to use them and also what to uncheck and check? Thanks. I do not want to make an error, as it is a new laptop. :)

15. Orumph

Orumph

If that was to me.

Just run the Live Onecare Safety Scanner, Let it do a complete scan.
    Then check all the boxes that you see. You'll understand once you are in it.
    The MS Vista Reg Cleaner is part of the online safety scan.

For the other 2, just run them, do the Erunt first then NTREGOPT

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice