1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ColleenA, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ColleenA

ColleenA Thread Starter

Hi:

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good (free is also good) registry cleaner programs available

I'm running Windows ME

Thanks

2. brindle

brindle

I've been using regseeker for the last week or so, seem to do the job. Have also used regcleaner and one that's only good for 30 days is jv16.

3. ColleenA

ColleenA Thread Starter

Thx I'll try and find one of those and see what it can do.

Thanks Again

4. Alaska

Alaska

I have Windows Me and use the following free registry cleaners:

Microsoft's Regclean 4.1a (no longer supported by Microsoft)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=458

RegCleaner 4.3

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=460

And you can still get the free version of JV16 here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1680

JV16 is good but on my computer it tends to hang so I use it less often. Also with JV16 there can be more of a chance of getting into trouble so definitely read the help files if you should decide to use it.

5. raybro

raybro

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

A second vote for RegSeeker. Besides being a great registry cleaner, it has some other features others don't. The price is right too.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

And I vote for no registry cleaners. The are unneeded and their use has led to more than a few problems for some while providing no real benefits.

8. brindle

brindle

MysticEyes
    Not everyone feels comforable manually cleaning the registry, for those of us that do great. Have you ever tried to uninstall AO..ll, Norton or Incredimail without cleaning out the registry? Not going to happen one way or another it has to be cleaned up.

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Cleaning remnats of programs with lousy uninstallers is not what most of these registry cleaners do. I use jv16 after an uninstall and see if anything is left under 'Installed programs' and remove any errant entries. But I ignore jv16's 266 'invalid entries' that show up in it's Registry Cleaner section. As I said many have run into problems using these cleaners on systems that ran fine with no problems before the cleaning.

10. ColleenA

ColleenA Thread Starter

Thx all, but now I know I'm confused. I just ran jv16 and it found 425 files when i ran the registry cleaner. How do I know if I can delete them or not. I have no idea what I need or don't need.

Any help would be great

thanks

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

That is the million dollar question. Feeling lucky? Is there some sort of problem you are trying to fix?

12. ColleenA

ColleenA Thread Starter

not really trying to fix anything. I just know you are suppose to do some sort of maintenance. I just was trying to clean up the machine abit and try and get some more space back. I know I must have a lot of crap on machine, kids are always downloading music and games. I did run spyware programs but even there I don't know what is safe to remove.

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

According to who? Microsoft has never had a registry cleaner. They did for awhile have a repair utility, but it is no longer recommended. If anybody would be in a position to make a cleaner it would be MS. MS does not recommend the use of cleaners.

You will not reclaim any space by registry cleaning.

As far as Spyware, Ad-aware is very safe to use. Some say Spybot is more thorough, but it is more confusing to the novice and mistakes can be made.

14. ColleenA

ColleenA Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I will just leave the registry alone. It scares me. I do have spybot and run that but even that I don't know what is safe to remove

Thanks for your help

15. Alaska

Alaska

I'll have to agree with MysticEyes, it is best to leave the registry alone unless you really, really know what you are doing or unless you are like me and like to cause yourself extreme emotional pain and mental anguish with a dash of physical discomfort thrown in for good measure.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!