1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

registry cleaners a no no...but what about ccleaner

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PK-her0, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

i recently posted about registry cleaners...and was
    shocked when some distinguished members of this site told me...

stay away from registry cleaners...at all costs...

of course i take their info to heart.

but whatabout ccleaner...is it worth using? is it any good...
    or just digital snake oil?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

3. valis

valis Moderator

I use ATF, but then again, I've had scads of issues with CCleaner. Not the app per se, but instead users who are unaware of the dangers of automatic registry cleaning, and end up with a nice and shiny paperweight.

4. jpboyrox

jpboyrox

yes yes

5. Bernardo

Bernardo

If you don't have any problems, leave well enough alone :)

6. antech

antech Banned

Ccleaner is effective at cleaning Temporary Files but I Personally DONT use the registry cleaner built-in Ccleaner

7. alan.b

alan.b

Before I un-install an application I use CCleaner and delete the junk files and folders,
    and then check the registry for any issues.
    Normally there are no issues, but if there are I Google and research before taking action.

Then I un-install - probably with an assist from RevoUninstaler.

Then I run CCleaner again, and look at registry issues.
    Then I only ever see issue warnings that include advice that this can be due to un-installation,
    then I satisfy my self that CCleaner has indeed come across a remnant that belongs to what has just been uninstalled,
    and then I zap it without even taking a registry backup (there is always the whole ERUNT backup for any sort of disaster).

Also there can be missing file associations,
    but I instantly recognise that the relevant file extension should NOT be recognised,
    because I have just used that extension with a Portable Application which avoids registry updates.
    So long as I am confident that this is the cause, I clean the issue.

If the registry suddenly gets an issue, I want to know about it and look for any damage, either accidental or malware.

Alan

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I fell foul of the anti-CC brigade a week or so back and I'd only jumped into a thread where it had been recommended to point out the need for a backup before letting it alter the Registry! :D

However, I still believe it's a good thing in cases where a reinstall of a programme is necessary. It can skip through the Registry and find traces I'd take hours find manually and I can restart and reinstall knowing I have a fairly clean platform on which to do it. I look forward to the day they refine it to be able to pick out specific entries - I recently had manually to clean a Registry of all things Sage and Regedit's Find facility managed to throw up several thousand Usage, MSAgent and Message entries to slow the process down.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice