registry cleaners

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ayds

I am thinking of purchasing either ace utilities or registry mechanic. My 2 year old dell computer with xp home edition is slow at times and not performing as well as it used to. I have 512 ram & 40 g hard drive. Can you tell me which one would be the safest to use? I have my registry backed up to an external hard drive.

The safest and one of the best is still the free one.

Regcleaner 4.3.0.780 is still free here:

ftp://ftp.wifak.uni-wuerzburg.de/sy.../RegCleaner.exe

For registry "compaction" and "defragging", use the free NTregopt and ERUNT to make a backup of the registry. Both in this package:

http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.zip

The registry is rarely the cause of the gradual slowdown that computers seem to suffer from. You should scan for ad- and spy-ware and check your Task Manager to see what processes use the most CPU. Do they need to be running (programs---XP services use no CPU unless performing a task)?

And a good chkdsk for disk errors and a complete defrag of the drive, registry, and pagefile will help.

Pagedefrag will defragment the registry hives and pagefile on boot:
http://www.sysinternals.com/files/pagedfrg.zip

ayds

Thank you, I will try that. I heard that regcleaner doesn't work on xp. Is that true?

You're thinking of Microsoft's RegClean which is not recommended. The RegCleaner above works fine on XP.

Elvandil said:
The safest and one of the best is still the free one.

Regcleaner 4.3.0.780 is still free here:

ftp://ftp.wifak.uni-wuerzburg.de/sy.../RegCleaner.exe

For registry "compaction" and "defragging", use the free NTregopt and ERUNT to make a backup of the registry. Both in this package:

http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.zip

The registry is rarely the cause of the gradual slowdown that computers seem to suffer from. You should scan for ad- and spy-ware and check your Task Manager to see what processes use the most CPU. Do they need to be running (programs---XP services use no CPU unless performing a task)?

And a good chkdsk for disk errors and a complete defrag of the drive, registry, and pagefile will help.

Pagedefrag will defragment the registry hives and pagefile on boot:
http://www.sysinternals.com/files/pagedfrg.zip
Hey, your first link doesn't appear to be working to me. Could you possibly post a new link for RegCleaner?

Everyone's experience is different with registry cleaners. I've never had much luck (or respect) for any freebie registry cleaner I've ever tried. Seems the good ones are always store-bought. Here's the ones I use...

On-Track's Registry Fixer from Ontrack's Fix-It Utilities

RegHeal

and, RegSupreme

It seems my experience has been the exact opposite. My first re-installation was due to the havoc wreaked by System Mechanic. Other purchased reg cleaners have disabled devices and unregistered some software.

There are many talented people with integrity that produce freeware. Many start out free to test the waters.

Jouni Vuorio's RegCleaner is well-known and has an excellent reputation as being both thorough and safe.

I use On-Track's Registry Fixer from Ontrack's Fix-It Utilities too and it works well for me.

The V-COM one that followed after OnTrack stopped making the utility has caused me no problems so far.

From the Admin there:
"Ok, Ive taken the liberty of cleaning things up here a bit."

We must have missed the good parts.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online