1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry Cleaners

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Bill P, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

What is the best registry cleaner. I'm looking for a good balance of efficiency and safety. What do you think?

2. Sponsor

3. Moby

Moby

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

I'll second Moby's rec for EasyCleaner

5. polak

polak

Have had good luck without any ill effects after removing invalid entries found by RegSeeker and RegSupreme. Use both as often RegSeeker finds invalid entries RegSupreme misses and vice versa. Some have reported experiencing problems after cleaning with RegSeeker but I have not experienced any problems.

Always wise to backup the registry prior to using a registry cleaner to add a measure of safety. Both RegSeeker and RegSupreme create backups before removing invalid entries they have found.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2579

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4001.html

6. ljcullen

ljcullen

I have always used JV Regcleaner and like the product alot. All of a sudden it has started to 'hang' after looking at the first 292 entries and will go no further.

Has anyone ever had that problem and what is the solution -- I bet there is a registry entry for JV that has been corrupted.

I have have tried uninstalling and then re-installing the product but alas same problem occurs --

any help is appreciated

7. TOGG

TOGG

Subject to the proviso that many people believe that Registry cleaning is, at best, unnecessary and, at worst, dangerous, I use RegSupreme.

This is the commercial version of the cleaner that was in jv16 Power Tools when it was free. I understand that, although you may still be able to get copies of the free version of jv16, it will not have been updated for some time and so may be more risky to use.

8. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

I presently have Regscrubxp. I trust it to not mess me up. Today at work I downloaded Regscruxp on one of the companies computers. I also downloaded Regseeker. I ran Regseeker and it found over 700 things. I didn.t remove anything. Than I ran Regscrubxp. . It found 177 which I removed. Regseeker kind of worries me. I do like the ability to search the registry.

9. TommyBazball

TommyBazball

I use RegSeeker, myself. Have not had a problem so far. Plus, it gives you the option to backup anything you delete.

10. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

I haven't run Regseeker on this machine. When I ran it on the machine at work and it found about 800 I was afraid to remove them. Do you think that it is safe?

11. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

Tommy the counter at the bottom right . Does it indicate the number that it has looked at or the number that it wants to remove?

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I use registry first aid. It works well but it isn't free.

13. TommyBazball

TommyBazball

That's the number that RegSeeker has deemed as candidates for deletion. You can either remove individual entries by one-click highlighting, then right-clicking or let RS delete all 800.

14. dai

dai

i still use the free version of jv16 never found anything to equal it for simplicity and reliability

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

And to go along with the jv16 recommendation, there is the old, reliable, and still free (some places) RegCleaner by Jouni Vuorio. It has always been popular, safe, and until recently, free. It is the same basic code as the one that accompanies the jv16 Power Tools. Free here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

16. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

I have a lot of entries that I recognize the exe as good but it says [unused open with entry] What sould be done with these?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/281477