Registry cleaners

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cathenelson

Help!!!! I suspected that I had a virus and so I went into my registry to try and fix it. Big mistake! Now I am not able to access several items on my desktop. I click on them and nothing happens. I am not able to open up notepad, cant do a system restore, etc. I have wiped out several items...please help me! I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Win XP sp2. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW...I believe this is the registry cleaner that I used: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categor...egCleaner.html. I may have used this one though: http://www.evidence-eliminator.com/regclean.exe

If RegCleaner is the program you used, it creates backups which you should be able to restore from within the program. I not sure about the evidence eliminator program, but check to see if that makes backups.

cathenelson

Thanks. I tried but the RegCleaner icon is no longer on my desktop and I cant get into add/remove programs...what to do????????

Can you go to C:\Program Files\RegCleaner and double-click on RegCleanr.exe?

cathenelson

No...its not there. I really did a doozy this time. I am so confused...what did I do wrong?

Do you have anything in C:\Program Files\RegCleaner, hopefully a Backups folder.

Well if you installed RegCleaner and uninstalled it, there would still be a C:\Program Files\RegCleaner folder there. So maybe it's the other program you were talking about, what's the name of that program and can you run it.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
"I am not able to open up notepad, cant do a system restore,"

How are you trying to do a System Restore, and what happens when you do?

Did you uninstall these programs? Maybe it was some other registry cleaner that you used.

cathenelson

WhitPhil said:
"I am not able to open up notepad, cant do a system restore,"

How are you trying to do a System Restore, and what happens when you do?
For the System Restore: Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
Nothing happens.

You can try this, in case your shortcut is corrupt.
Start> Run> type:
%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
then hit OK.

cathenelson

stantley said:
Did you uninstall these programs? Maybe it was some other registry cleaner that you used.
After I ran the Reg Cleaner I was not able to uninstall anything manually. Those are the only two that I accessed that day. The only files I find on a Search are 1 html document and 1 txt document. Both files were installed 7/9/2006 and share the same path: C:\Program Files\RegCleaner

cathenelson

Augie65 said:
You can try this, in case your shortcut is corrupt.
Start> Run> type:
%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
then hit OK.
Thanks...I did this and got a Windows error. "Windows cannot open this file". File: rstrui.exe

Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Unknown

Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.

The following Web sites have a comprehensive list of file extensions. You might be able to find information about this file type there:
FILExt

??????????????????????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online