Registry Corrupted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ciera89

I shut down my computer which is a Inspiron 1525, Dell. I use this for school. Anyways, I shut it down turning it back on getting "Windows is unable to start up. A recent software or hardware change maybe the cause" I launched the Startup repair and it told me my system volume on disk is corrupt. I launched the samething today and now it says the registry is corrupt. I get six options which include,
1. start up repair - automatically fix problems that are proventing windows from starting. when clicked on it it scans then says "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically. 2 options. send information about this problem (recommended)
do not send.
then says view problem details which just list the information

2. system restore - restore windows to earlier point and time - to perform an online system restore you must specify which windows installation you would like to restore for example if the installation is located in C:\ windows should be restored enter the following commad.
rstrui.exe/OFFLINE:C:\windows. it only gives the option to push OK. there is no where to type that information.
3. windows complete pc restore - restore entire computer from back up
it gives date location time and computer but cannot type anywhere to do so. windows complete pc restore no valid back up locations can be found.

4. windows memory diagnostic tool - check your computer for memory hardware errors. restart now and check for problems recommended. or check for problems next time i restart computer.
5. command prompt - open a commad prompt window. brings up dos but will not allow to change the drive letter and it states the drive is
X:\windows\system32>
I have tried the system restore but it says I cannot do it because I have not created a restore point but open System protection but cannot do that because I'm in a limited diagnostic state and it wont restore.

I have also tried chkdsk C: /f and I got failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

I dont want to completely back up my computer because I have important files I need for school and pictures I would like to get. Any help???

What major system changes occured in order for the pc to not boot up? System Restore would be my #1 choice for most software changes to the pc.

Can you even boot in safe mode w/without networking?

Let us know what occurs.

Ciera89

No major system changes occured. I just shut it down and turned it back on. and I cant do a system restore because I am in a limited diagnostic state so I cant do it.

hi i suggest you use the recovery partition as per the manual
Restoring Your Operating System​
Windows Vista: Dell Factory
Image Restore​
NOTICE:​
Using Dell Factory Image Restore
permanently deletes all data on the hard
drive and removes any programs or drivers
installed after you received your computer.
If possible, back up the data before using
these options. Use Dell Factory Image
Restore only if System Restore did not
resolve your operating system problem.

NOTE:​
Dell Factory Image Restore may
not be available in certain countries or on
certain computers.
Use Dell Factory Image Restore only as the
last method to restore your operating system.
These options restore your hard drive to the
operating state it was in when you purchased
the computer. Any programs or files added
since you received your computer—including
data files—are permanently deleted from
the hard drive. Data files include documents,
spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos,
music files, and so on. If possible, back up all
data before using Factory Image Restore.

Dell Factory Image Restore
1.​
Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo
appears, press <F8> several times to access
the
Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.

2.​
Select Repair Your Computer.

3.​
The System Recovery Options window
appears.

4.​
Select a keyboard layout and click Next.

5.​
To access the recovery options, log on as a
local user. To access the command prompt,
type
administrator in the User name

field, then click OK.

first get a copy of ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/ and follow the steps here to retrieve your data http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ this is nnot a perfect solution but will get you back up and running

Ciera89

Hey,
I am unable to do the image restore from the dell, because it doesn't work I've already tried it and it will not delete all my files and data it's already told me that it will back it up the latest image on my computer before my computer crashed. I can't get anything to work except to do the full restore which I dont want to do until I can get my things off of the old hard drive

Go to Dell support, enter your model number and service tag. You can have them scan the computer and tell you what you are needing. They have a diagnostic program that they can run for you.
Another thing you can try, is try booting into safe mode. While computer is booting continously genty tap the F8 key,. This will open the safe mode window. Use the arrow keys to go up to the 'last known good configuration', click enter and let the computer do its thing.
Post back and give us the results.
vicks

Ciera89

I've alreayd called Dell Support and they are sending me a new hard drive with back up cds to hopefully salvage my stuff. Already tried loading in safe mode and that doesn't work either, just keep getting put into startup repair and it doesn't do anything. Also tried the last known good configuration and that didn't work either still brought to the same place. It won't boot up at all with any mode. HELP I need my stuff.

Not knowing enough information right now is kinda hard to address the solution, but i would guess that you may have a corrupt HDD, if thats the case, you'll have to reformat the whole drive. You could see if a professional tech could recover any files - though it may be around $150. How long have you had this pc, is it new or used?

Sorry im not much help, but i dont like dell, so i dont know anything about em.

hi the suggestion on posts 4 and 8 are to try to save you paying out bucks for saving data

valis

has anyone suggested booting to the recovery console and running chkdsk /r yet?

If so, great. If not, may want to try it.

As for backing up your data, all you need to do is take the hard drive out and put it in another pc. The other pc will see it as a slave drive, copy your data over that way. If it's a laptop, you will need to buy a 3.5" enclosure, they are generally pretty cheap.

I'd also recommend buying an external hd (you can get 1 tb hd's for dirt cheap now) and an enclosure for it, and mirror your data over.

On my rigs, I don't keep anything in my docs and settings folder. I have a folder off the root drive called my name, and build my hierarchy structure below that. That way, if something goes sideways, I only have to copy one folder, not a zillion buried under the my docs and settings folders.

something to keep in mind.

thanks,

v

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online