1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry disaster in the making

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CDRome, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

Hi,

Strange things have been happening ever since I installed the latest patch for IE6 from Windows Update. The computer kept on crashing and I couldn't access the system tray but the open programs/windows worked normally. Then once when I had to turn it off and back on I got a "Registry Access" error. If I clicked on OK, the computer would restart and give me the error message again and again and again. But if I continued working, everything seemed to work fine except the tray had lost Dave's Search Deskbar and the order of my tray icons. So I download Registry Mechanic and got about 158 errors. RM fixed all but 58, all font-related. Also, when I run Spybot Search I get lots of registry file and dll missing messages which I never used to get before.

Now when I restart the computer I don't get a registry error message but I still get a messed up system tray that just won't keep my arrangement of thing in its memory, plus Dave's Search Deskbar no longer appears although if I click on Add Toolbar and hold it long enough I get first one instance of Dave's listed in the menu and then, after a few seconds, as many as four instances of it, and still not the Deskbar itself. Plus if I try to do anything with the registry through System Information, I get a registry access method and a computer restart...

AND:

1. Outlook 2000 keeps on giving me an Error 1919; it tells me that the Internet service is not installed propoerly; and everytime I click for help it first attempts to install help and then gives me an Error 1919 and when I cancel install it gives me the help files. Attempts to repair Outlook give me the same Error 1919.

Can you please help?

Caren

P.S. - I have managed to successfully repair IE6 but hasn't changed any of the issues above.

2. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Have you tried starting in dos and at the C prompt type in scanreg /restore and hit enter (note the space between scanreg and/) then select a date before the problem started, hopefully this will restore a backed up copy of the registry...keep us posted, and welcome to TSG :) Rhett

3. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

Hi Rhett and thanks for the welcome. I've tried what you're suggesting but to no avail. By the way, it didn't offer me a chance to choose a date. It just went right through and did whatever it was supposed to do.

4. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Well, now you have me, what OS are you using, someone else will have to step in, as I just got in over my head :) hang in there, someone will be along to help further :)

5. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

OK! My system's Win ME / PIII 800/256M.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

On WinME you can do start button, run, then type in scanreg /restore. You should get some dates to choose from.

7. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

Hi Aca Candy
    I've done that twice, but I get a message saying there were some errors in the registry and that I should restart to get it fixed. I do as instructed and still get nowhere....

8. ~Candy~

Well, it sounds like you've got a mess of the registry entries going.

You are able to get to the desktop still, correct? And you can get online?

9. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy,

Yes I can pretty much do everything with the PC except use Outlook to check my e-mail (I can load Outlook but it says I have to reinstall the services) or repair Outlook/Office (I get an error message saying: "Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC error 19: Could not write to registry. Verify that MS Access Database exist and that you have access to it." Needless to say, the database does exist. I have tried the MS Support site solutions and run a couple of patches but to no avail.

CDRome

10. ~Candy~

11. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

Yes. Tried'em. But... nothing happened.

12. ~Candy~

Did you try reinstalling Outlook instead of repairing?

13. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

No. I haven't resorted to that because I have many many add-ons and customized forms and menus that I just wouldn't want to lose. And have no idea where they are so that I could back them up.

14. ~Candy~

Your forms shouldn't be affected with an overinstall, I wouldn't think the menus would be either, but possibly on those. Let me shoot a PM off to someone who may be able to help. She may not reply until tomorrow.

15. CDRome

CDRome Thread Starter

Thanks AcaCandy. I won't be doing this until tomorrow anyway because I want to do a full backup of my system first. Hope to hear from you tomorrow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice