1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry Editing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ron the Geek, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ron the Geek

Ron the Geek Thread Starter

I've finally found where some of the bad guys hang out (as well as some good guys...) in starting up Windows. The culprits are in: HKLM\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg. Can these just be deleted? Some of the folders that I would like to eliminate include AutoUpDater, ccApp (not the good one), P2P Networking, roam jump proxy flap and a few others. Do I need to go through some uninstall routine (they are not listed in add/remove programs) or can I just nuke'em? Thanks!
    RTG :cool:

2. Kitch

Kitch

The location you mention usually contains the items that have been disabled via Msconfig.

You can delete the entries if they are unwanted, this will remove the references in Msconfig,
    it won't however remove the source files/programs.

3. bbearren

bbearren

I have a clean machine. The only key in my HKLM\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg is

Name "Default" Type "REG_Z" Data "(value not set)".

Since you're wanting to cleanup the machine, I recommend doing a system-wide (include hidden files and folders) search of each entry in your startupreg, and you may find paths to the things you want to delete, or even an uninstall executable in the folder.

I also recommend backing up your registry before each deletion, in case you run into unforeseen difficulties.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As pointed out, the folder you refer to contains shortcuts to apps that no longer start.
    This site may clarify.

5. Ron the Geek

So, if I wanted to really uninstall them, I would need to recheck them in MSCONFIG, restart, see if they are now showing up in Add/Remove Programs and remove as many as will let me, right?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Hey Ron

Try CCleaner and click on issues and then Scan

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Programs showing in MSCONFIG are not related to being in Add/Remove.

Things selected in MSCONFIG are "supposed" to start at Bootup.

If the progam exists where the link shows it to be, it will start.
    BUT, at the same time this program that just started, may NOT be in Add/Remove. Just because a program exists, does not mean it is in add/remove.

So, if you really want to get rid of it completely, start via Add/Remove.
    If it is there, uninstall it.

It is isn't there, it doesn't have a standard uninstall with it, and will have to be manually deleted.
    Once manually deleted you will need to delete the entries shown in Msconfig.

8. Ron the Geek

Yo' BonkĀ—

Did it. The first time it found, lord, quite a number of items. I just ran it again, though, and all it found was an Uninstaller Reference Issue. I don't get redirected on the net, I just keep getting additional windows/sites opening up. Ones which, if a family-oriented person was to buy the machine, wouldn't be favorable.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

So you getting Adult sites popping up or advertising while you browsing Ron.

You could check your Security level in Internet Options and is your Popup blocker ON.

10. Ron the Geek

Windows is the strangest thing... On THIS computer that I'm using, "my" computer, in Internet Options in Control Panel, under the Privacy tab, I have a small window at the bottom of the screen to turn on/off Windows pop-up blocker (PUB), BUT, on the other machine that I'm concerned with, on that very same tab I have the "sites" option in the lower pane and can't find an option anywhere else for Windows pub. Also, on the main page of Control Panel of the problem machine, Security Center is nowhere to be found. The problem machine is only updated to SP1 and "my" machine has SP2. Is that the difference for these or has problem notebook been even more compromised than I thought?

11. bonk

bonk Banned

Open windows Explorer and at the top you should see Tools>>Internet Options>>You should see Privacy, Security etc.

12. bbearren

bbearren

There are lots of security updates in SP2. That is a big difference.

13. Ron the Geek

Bonk: Yeah, I can get to all the areas, but what I'm saying is that the options on those tabs are different than what they "should" be or not there at all. I have a feeling that a lot of it is due to XP only being updated to SP1. I think my next move will be to go online and update everything (except for IE7...) and go from there. Get back to y'all after that. Thanks!
    RTG :cool:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice