1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry entries missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OldGuy70, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OldGuy70

OldGuy70 Thread Starter

Since installing Office 2007 (over Office 2000) recently, I often encounter delays in opening Office 2000 Word files. Furthermore, I am sometimes unable to open them unless I move them to a 'trusted' directory. So I defined a trusted directory, moved the file(s) there, and can work. But when I just now tried to open an Office 2000 Word file, I received a different error message, namely ' You are attempting to open a file type that is blocked by your registry policy setting.', with instructions to disable the restriction via regedit. When I looked at the registry data, there was no 'Office' tab whatsoever under the Microsoft tab beneath Policies. So I'm unable to edit the registry to 'unblock' access to such legacy files. If someone can instruct me about what to do, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

3. OldGuy70

OldGuy70 Thread Starter

Thanks, Rob, but as I explained in my post, the problem is that when I run regedit, the 'branch' under 'Microsoft' is empty: 'Office' is not even listed there. I was following the 'fix' outlined under Method 2 for Word 2007 at the webpage that you cited, but don't know how to add '\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock' at the Microsoft node, or how to set the 'DWord value' referred to there. I'm reluctant to experiment, even though I backed up the registry and other critical files.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you run a Registry cleaner?

5. OldGuy70

OldGuy70 Thread Starter

Hello, Dave A. I ran the Uniblue Registry Scan and Cleaner in November, and thought that my registry was probably 'clean'. But I just updated the Uniblue software online and scanned it again, finding 238 errors, all of which were cleaned AOK and not present at a rescan. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem that I posted. The Microsoft 'tab' or branch has no sub branch or tab for 'Office', only a single sub branch for 'System Certificates'. But when I tried to open files saved previously under Word 97 - 2003 format, I was able to open them without the problem that I posted. This was true even for the file that I couldn't open the other day, leading to the post. There were some files from 1997 and 1998 that I could not open (triggering the error message in my post), but they are no longer of value. I would, however, still like to know how to disable the error message triggered when opening old Word files.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    It just may be that this registry cleaner did clean out to much.
    I will not and a lot of users here will NOT use any registry cleaner as they can and have over cleaned things.

Have you tried doing a "Repair" on your Office install?

7. Koot

Koot

I've seen far too many registry cleaners do far more damage than good. I have a friend that used Uniblue (like OldGuy70 did) thinking he'd cleanup the registry in his [previously] perfectly working PC. Well, he had to do a clean install... I, for one, will NEVER use a registry cleaner.

8. OldGuy70

OldGuy70 Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave A and Koot. No, I haven't tried a 'Repair' on my Office Install. I only installed it (over Office 2000) a couple of months ago. How do I do that? And how do you keep your registry clean without using someone's cleaning software?

9. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi,

Instead of a repair, why dont you just uninstall any office installations & do a clean install of 2007

This wont solve the original prob, but it will place all needed files & registry info into the correct places, so it may be easier to remove the prob by editing the registry.

Rob

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Cleaning the registry does not speed up your machine. Having these unused entries will not affect the operation of the machine, don't worry about them.

11. OldGuy70

OldGuy70 Thread Starter

Thanks Rob and Dave. Perhaps I'll have to uninstall and reinstall Office 2007, but I only installed it about 2 months ago, and haven't installed any other software since then.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice