1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry error message when starting program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by apthered, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apthered

apthered Thread Starter

Hi
    For any program that I've installed recently and am using for the first time, I get a .NET Framework error message which says:

Please set registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to point to the .NET Framework install location.

As I don't know much about the registry, I ran a google search with the error message and got a thread in another tech support forum saying that it was a virus. I ran AVG Virus Scan and got no problems and I ran my Registry Mechanic and it fixed the normal things, but the problem is still there.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The cause of this is most likely Registry Mechanic that decided that key was useless and deleted it.
    That, among other reasons, is why we as forum members (for the most part) do not condone the use of these programs.

As a FYI, read this thread about the damage caused to another poster by Registry Mechanic. http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/756736-reg-edit-dummies.html

As for your problem, do Start > Run > Regedit

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework
    Select .NETFramework
    Is there a field in the right screen called InstallRoot?
    If so, is it's value C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\

If not, in the area to the right
    Right Mouse > New > String Value
    In the highlighted name of the field type InstallRoot
    Then right mouse on the field > Modify
    And in the value data enter C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\

3. apthered

apthered Thread Starter

thank you :D
    there wasn't a string on the right side called InstallRoot, so I made one.

but i still have a problem. now i get a different error message
    .NET Framework Initialization Error
    To run this program you must first install one of the following versions of .NET Framework:
    v2.0.50727
    Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET Framework

Im not sure how this would have happened because I have automatic Windows Updates...and I was wondering if I should just try a system restore?

4. WhitPhil

5. apthered

apthered Thread Starter

i still got a problem with this :(
    i tried installing v2 from the link you gave me but it said i already had it so I couldnt install. Should I reinstall?

I then tried installing v3.5 after downloading it from the microsoft website but it kept getting errors (the _________ has encountered a problem and needs to close kind) about three quarters of the way through the installation

I even tried a system restore to a week ago,but it said there havent been any changes (though i installed some programs)

so, im still stuck :( any ideas on what I should do now? thanks in advance :)

6. WhitPhil

I think that I would be tempted to UNinstall version 2 and then reinstall and see if anything changes.

7. apthered

apthered Thread Starter

okay i will try that

8. apthered

apthered Thread Starter

i uninstalled v2.0 and it worked :|
    theres no problems now, no error messages, nothing at all. and im running v1.1
    so im guessing it was just a problem with v2.0 :p

anyway, thanks for all the help :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice