Registry Error not allowing any installs, please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ewhikehart

Hey guys, hopefully someone has some suggestions for me. My fiance managed to get the Advanced Virus Remover and the Antivirus Pro Mailware. I searched around for some help with the mailware and found the geek police website. I searched through the forums and found some posts with the same problem. I decided to run a combo fix program that was posted by the website.

I didn't read the initial post in that forum saying to not run programs from other people's posts since they are custom for each person based on the hijack this log. Doh!!!

Anyway, I tried downloading hijack this to create a log but it wouldn't install. I even tried installing it in safe mode. Next I tried to install Mailwarebytes but got the same result. Finally one of the members from the forum site sent me a link for SystemLook.exe. I was able to install it in safe mode, ran it, submitted a report to the site. They directed me to a link for avenger.exe which scanned for rootkits. Then I submitted the output log and they gave me a link for combo-fix.exe. I got it to run in safe mode and finally the ridiculously annoying popups subsided.

It cleaned out the infected files and the infected registry keys. I submitted the output log and they felt it was taken care of. I tried to install AVG 8.5 and I got this error message:

Local machine: installed successfully
Installation:
Warning: Action failed for registry key HKCU\Software\Avg (Administrator): creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005
Warning: Action failed for registry key HKCU\Software\Avg\Avg8 (Administrator): creating registry key....
Internal error. Registry handle has not been opened.

Half of the desktop icons did not return to their original shortcut image, they just look like the typical icons for unrecognized programs. I tried to reinstall itunes and I get this error message:

Itunes Setup error

C:\Documents and Settings\Beth Stoltz\Desktop\iTunesSetup.exe is not a valid Win 32 application.

I made sure it was an up to date installation file and I get the same error.

I'm wondering if the registry is screwed up? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Eric

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
You may have indeed damaged your computer with the use of ComboFix. It's a powerful tool and very effective to remove malware but should never be used without the help of an expert.

As for iTunes, read this and this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online