registry file failure - please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

justme123

i have a dell inspiron 5100 notebook and am having trouble. When I boot up it says windows did not start properly last time and gives me the option to start it in safe mode and two others. no matter which one i choose it goes to a screen that says...

STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
the registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate.
it is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete

----- I made a boot disk on another working dell and can get in to what i think is the recovery console; although it looks a lot like dos. That is where I am stuck, I was wondering if there was a way to run system restore from there or anything I can do. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you.

Yes, the recovery console does look quite a bit like DOS. Different commands available and not available, though.

Try typing chkdsk /r and pressing enter.

Let us know the result, and if you can then boot to Windows-probably not, but we'll rule out the drive as the cause.

Here's a MS Knowledge base guide to troubleshooting this message...They say it's probably either hardware, software, or external environment (power outage, etc.) related.:D Great help...:confused:

No. All your files will be there. Some things may be missing from the registry that you have added recently, but that is better than losing everything.

justme123

thank you i should have time to mess with it today i will let you know the outcome. also, any idea why this could have happened or what i can do to protect myself in the future?

No idea. It could have been a disk error. Run chkdsk /p while you are in the Recovery Console.

justme123

Okay, for some reason I am able to get into windows and do what ever I like...for 5-10 min. afterwards the laptop shuts off. i tried letting it charge for a wile and also with the cord plugged in. is this a software issue or am i looking at a bad battery?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online