1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

registry file failure - please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by justme123, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justme123

justme123 Thread Starter

i have a dell inspiron 5100 notebook and am having trouble. When I boot up it says windows did not start properly last time and gives me the option to start it in safe mode and two others. no matter which one i choose it goes to a screen that says...

STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
    the registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \systemroot\system32\config\software
    or its log or alternate.
    it is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

beginning dump of physical memory
    physical memory dump complete

----- I made a boot disk on another working dell and can get in to what i think is the recovery console; although it looks a lot like dos. That is where I am stuck, I was wondering if there was a way to run system restore from there or anything I can do. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you.

2. The Hound

The Hound

Yes, the recovery console does look quite a bit like DOS. Different commands available and not available, though.

Try typing chkdsk /r and pressing enter.

Let us know the result, and if you can then boot to Windows-probably not, but we'll rule out the drive as the cause.

Here's a MS Knowledge base guide to troubleshooting this message...They say it's probably either hardware, software, or external environment (power outage, etc.) related.:D Great help...:confused:

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. justme123

justme123 Thread Starter

Elvandil - will doing this cause me to lose any files?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. All your files will be there. Some things may be missing from the registry that you have added recently, but that is better than losing everything.

6. justme123

justme123 Thread Starter

thank you i should have time to mess with it today i will let you know the outcome. also, any idea why this could have happened or what i can do to protect myself in the future?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

No idea. It could have been a disk error. Run chkdsk /p while you are in the Recovery Console.

8. justme123

justme123 Thread Starter

Okay, for some reason I am able to get into windows and do what ever I like...for 5-10 min. afterwards the laptop shuts off. i tried letting it charge for a wile and also with the cord plugged in. is this a software issue or am i looking at a bad battery?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!