1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Registry File Failure} Recover files for Restore

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kalashnikov, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Thread Starter

I get this error on start up. This happened after my laptop froze and I turned it off with the power button.

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file):\System Root\System32\Config\SECURITY or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I've search and basically have only found two options: system restore of start up repair.

Start up repair didn't work so I guess system restore is the only option. I have data that I don't want to loose, though. Can I back up the data onto and external hard drive even thought I can't boot the system up?

It's a Gateway T1628. Not even two months old. The Gateway people haven't help me at all.

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

System Restore, if there is a point available from booting the DVD, will not erase any of your files if all goes right. It is, of course, a good idea to have all your files backed up at all times since a sudden drive failure would lose everything, anyway.

3. Kalashnikov

I couldn't find a spot that says system restore, but when I went to the disk menu, I had a choice to either install window or repair. I went to repair and it said to select a drive. I selected local disk C and it asked me to reformat it. Is this what you are talking about or will I loose everything?

Thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do not reformat. That will prepare the drive for a new OS--not what you want to do.

You get a big window with Install in the middle, right? Below that, you have the option to repair your computer. Click that and System Restore should be on the next menu.

If it is not, it's possible the missing reg file makes that step impossible.

You booted from the Vista DVD, correct? You see the Vista walllpaper and all when you boot it up? And this is a full, Microsoft version Vista DVD?

5. Kalashnikov

When I click on the option to repair, it brings me to a menu that says system recovery options at the top. It has the buttons "load drivers" and "next" at the bottom.

I booted from the CD that was included with the laptop. I did see the vista wall paper when I booted up. As far as I know, it is the full version of Vista. It says Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit with SP1 then in big black bold letters Operating System Disk. It says Gateway at the top above the Windows Home premium...

Thanks for your help so far.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If there is no System Restore option, then it has been removed by Gateway. Better read your manual. They may have used some other backup method, or you may need to wipe the drive and restore it to factory condition if you use the Gateway recovery method.

Is there any Startup Repair option?

7. Kalashnikov

Yes, I tried the stat up repair and it didn't work. It just came up with that same error after a while. If I recall, the manual didn't say much. I'll check again though.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice