Solved Registry folders to delete or not

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ayjay47

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20201015113931.000000+000
Processor: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (515 GB Free);
Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group A88M, s/n None
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n None
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus Free Antimalware, Enabled and Updated

First off apologies if this question is in the wrong section. I had a problem with this computer a few days ago which was solved here and it proved to be my free antivirus. I was thinking to uninstall it but then I thought also maybe I should remove any trace of it in the Registry. I typed in regedit and found the antivirus folder in the registry but also found folders from other free antivirus I've used over the years. I did a search here and found registry cleaners aren't recommended so being the computer dork that I am I'm wondering is it safe for me to simply delete the antivirus folders?

registry.jpg

blues_harp28

If you look in regedit you will find entries to almost every program you have ever installed and then uninstalled. There could be dozens of them and you could spend days looking for them and deleting them.
In the days [win 95/98, etc] of smaller hard drives, cleaning the registry may have made some sense.
But left over registry entries are doing no harm and can safely be left where they are.

Whatever you decide to do - always back up the registry before making any changes.
Search > Type > regedit > right click and 'Run as Administrator'
In Regedit > Click on File > Export > Save to your desktop.

ayjay47

If you look in regedit you will find entries to almost every program you have ever installed and then uninstalled. There could be dozens of them and you could spend days looking for them and deleting them.
In the days [win 95/98, etc] of smaller hard drives, cleaning the registry may have made some sense.
But left over registry entries are doing no harm and can safely be left where they are.

Whatever you decide to do - always back up the registry before making any changes.
Search > Type > regedit > right click and 'Run as Administrator'
In Regedit > Click on File > Export > Save to your desktop.
Thanks for your advice blues_harp28. I'll do as you say and leave well enough alone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online