1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Registry Maintenance Tool for ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bilnrobn, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    My trial period of RegSupreme has just finished. Quite an impressive little program and worth having, but before I buy it can anyone recommend a similar tool that is as good and is freeware?

2. TOGG

TOGG

As you probably already know, RegSupreme is the Registry cleaning component of jv16 Power Tools which used to be free but isn't any longer.

Although I don't have one myself, I'm pretty sure I have seen links to sites where you can still d/l the last but one version of jv16 (the one that doesn't have the built in expiry date).

I used to use the reg cleaner in jv16 and sometimes got a BSOD on exiting the program. I bought RegSupreme and have not had any problems so far. Good value for about £9 or $12 IMHO.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    One of the best registry and temp files cleaners that I've seen so far is EasyCleaner 2.0.6.369, and it's free.

4. starwaves77

starwaves77

Ditto's for Flavalee's 'easycleaner' download it, it's excellent.

For pure registry cleaning this program is very powerful and safe, RegVac

Use in the 'novice mode' , click on clean registry, and wait, it will take awhile, when you see the pop up, your done, it is very safe, I have never heard of a problem using it, even though they do sell it, I have run forever without buying,

:)

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks guys, I have downloaded both easycleaner and RegVac and will try them both. (Can't find the earlier version of RegSupreme)

6. TOGG

TOGG

Just to clarify my earlier post, there is not (as far as I know) an 'earlier' version of RegSupreme.

Once jv16Power Tools stopped being freeware, the registry cleaning function from that was offered for sale separately as RegSupreme. I think earlier versions of jv16 incorporating a registry cleaner are still available but I don't have a link.

Obviously, even if you got a fully functioning version of jv16 for free, it will never be updated and so might become dangerous to use over time. The RegSupreme license entitles me to any updates that are made in future.

7. billE

billE

just an fyi =o) i found my version of jv16 at www.OldVersion.com seems to be a pretty good site for us blokes with older crappier compys. when newer stuff like media players won't work properly or poverty keeps us from currency* heh guess that would be a given though. FREE TECH FOR THE POOR!! (*=denotes double meaning, and surprisingly both hold true) disclaimer-use of the word "blokes" does not intend to mislead others into suspecting the supposed britishness of the author =o) and my apologies for the misquote from the movie "roadside prophets"

8. cvb

cvb

Im no expert,but following the the advice of the experts.I downloaded free version of regscrub,works great.also free.cvb

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If I'm correct, RegScrubXP 3.25 is designed only for Windows XP.

10. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    I have been using RegVac since my last post on 8th April and it seems fine. I run it manually every two or three days. (Haven't told it to run at bootup as I figure it will slow the boot.) Using Novice mode it checks, cleans and saves a backup and deletes back ups older than 7 days. So far I have never needed to revert to a back up.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice